Hello. I am new here so here's my story. My name is Elena and I have a three year old, male cat. He has never had any health problems since he is here, and I adopted him when he was 11 months old. Approximately a month ago I started noticing some problems. I had no idea what is happening since I am not familiar with any kind of health issues that can occur to cats. It turned out he has problems with his anal glands. I don’t know much about this so I was wondering if there is someone here who can tell me something more about the diagnosis and treatment of anal gland disease in cats?

I have this problem with my cat like forever. We were discussing this on this forum earlier. Well, cat’s anal sacs are emptied when your cat poop as a really simple result of pressure from fecal matter passing thought the rectum and out of the anus. Now, secretions are thick, creamy and colored, and they are really, but really smelly. Now, this problem can develop for a lot of reasons.  The first symptom is when your cat licks and bite their rear and, because she is trying to get rid of the discomfort and pain.  Final diagnosis of anal glands you can find out if you visit the vet. 

Hi Elena. I have some experience with anal gland problems in cats.

The diagnosis is pretty simple. Take your cat to the vet and he will do a physical exam of him.  He will be able to determine if there are any anal sac problems from sight. 

He might also be palpating the anal sacs. Palpating the anal glands considers your vet touching the area with his hands to determine if everything is ok. 

And the treatment includes emptying the anal sacs, this is also a job for the vet. You can do it on your own at home which I wouldn’t recommend unless you know what you’re doing.

Hi there. First of all, there is no need to worry. Problems with anal glands are very common in the world of cats and dogs and vets today clean them on a regular basis. As someone already told you, you can even do it on your own. Nothing can go wrong. The worst thing you can do is fail in cleaning them. Ok maybe you can traumatize your pet, but be careful and that won’t happen.

The diagnosis is something that a vet must do. You may notice the cat licking her under-tail area, but you will need a vet to confirm that it’s a problem with anal glands.

Hi, guest.

You will get used that cats have problem with anal sacs. It can be really annoying, but if you take care of your pet(s) it would be all alright.

So, if you notice that your cat have some of these symptoms, such as scooting (when cat drag her/his bottom), pain near tail area, swelling around same area, or a lot of biting or licking, take her to the veterinarian. There you will get precise diagnosis and your vet will prescribe necessary treatment for your cat. Usually it can be treated with antibiotics, but sometimes surgery is necessary.

Good thing is that post-op complications are really rare. My cats had none in the past 30+ years.

Don’t worry. The biggest problem is because this is something that is really annoying – for pet’s owner and for pet as well. But, you don’t have to be worried as long as you take a proper care of your cat. It is something that every cat will struggle with in her life. The main treatment is to empty anal sacs – you can do it alone, if you have experience, and you can visit vet. I mean, I always let vet do to this, because somehow I am afraid that I will make a mistake. So, it is nothing serious, not a big deal, but you should take care of it always. 

Still, nothing to worry about. It is something that is common with all cats. The signs of impacted anal glands in cats are – biting and licking around the anal region, straining while defecating, pain while defecating, obvious pain in the anal area, swelling in the anal are, and rupture around the anal region. Those are all the signs that you need to observe and your will see if your cat is impacted. Now, I don’t think that we need to repeat what are diagnosis and treatments, but one thing is sure, if you take care of your cat you will avoid unpleasant situations. 

My cat has a problem with anal glands too. I never actually took her to the vet and she didn’t get the diagnosis, but I know that the problem are anal glands. I see her licking her under tail area all the time and sometimes I notice that she is pulling her bottom down the carpet as if she is trying to get rid of the itchiness.
I am thinking about draining her glands home, I even tried it once but she doesn’t want to remain still.
Maybe I’ll take her to the vet so that he can do it. You should probably do that too.