I was talking to my friend and she told me she does not drinking alcohol. That surprised me because we used to go to the parties together and she was drunk all the time. When I asked why is that so, she said she wants to lose some weight. I guess she was thinking alcohol makes it harder. Can you tell me if there is any connection between those, because I have no idea, I was never overweight?

There was a debate about the effect of alcohol in weight loss on a low-carbohydrate diet. Dry drinks like vodka and dry wines contain no carbohydrates, but they do contain alcohol, which definitely has influence if someone wants to lose pounds. This provides energy at 7 calories per gram and as alcohol is absorbed rapidly by the body, this source of energy can be used. Some doctors say that alcohol checks the combustion of fat in the body. On the other hand, there is Banting's evidence, where he took six glasses of claret a day and a glass of rum, and still he lost weight. It is mentioned the intriguing possibility that alcoholic drinks is dilating the blood vessels in the skin and making it work harder. This may step up metabolism to an extent, which more than compensated for the calories taken in as alcohol. This increased metabolism, coupled with increased loss of water from the skin and in the urine, could then result in weight loss. At the end, it seems probable that all alcoholic drinks except those like beer, which contain large amounts of carbohydrate, are not fattening. It might be wise to consider, however, that the stimulation of appetite and the removal of inhibitions by alcohol may mask the slimming effect.

I don't know if there really is a connection between being overweight and drinking alcohol. But most of the people I know who drink usually are overweight. They drink a lot.

I found there actually IS a connection. I used to be a weekend-party drinker and weighed like 55kg on a 155-frame (dunno how much in lbs) so thats not fat, but not quıte slim either.
Afterwards, I switched my diet consumed more dairy products (low fat milk yoghurt cheese etc), rather than do long-term cardios do intense high short term workouts with max pulse (cardio) NO EATİNG min. 2 hrs after workout
and I quit ANY alcohol whatsoever as İ felt it makes me hungry and zou do have the occasional binge after a strenous night out
İf you go out, keep it on soda with lime juice, no fruit juice, no coke or sugary cocktails etc
you will see, keeping this will make your lbs vanish as fast as they came:)İ lost 11 kg in 4 months :-))