Can anyone tell me what hyperglycemia is?  Also, what exactly is ketoacidosis? My biology teacher is testing us next week on the pancreas and there are many terms we need to learn. I am confused about what hyperglycemia is exactly and how it happens in the body.  And why is diabetic ketoacidosis so dangerous to a body? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hyperglycemia is when the blood has high glucose level because either there isn't enough insulin or when the body has insulin resistance.  On the other hand, diabetic ketoacidosis is a serious condition that occurs when the blood has high levels of blood acids called ketones.  DK develops because the body is unable to produce enough insulin.  The body begins to break down fat to use for energy; this causes a build up of toxic acids (ketones) that leads to DK if left untreated.  It has the same symptoms as hyperglycemia:  fruity breath, sweating, excessive thirst, fatigue, nausea, and vomiting.  DK can be fatal so it needs to be treating as soon as possible.

I hope this helps your understanding. 

I was thinking that hypo glycemia was the one that had the sweating, and tiredness and nausea as symptoms? Are they similar in hypo glycemia too? How would you know if you needed to treat the high blood sugar or the low blood sugar unless you was able to test it. How would you know how to treat a person without knowing? You can always know what to do if a person is choking, you just know that they need the heimleich but when a person is having out of the ordinary blood sugars, you wouldn't know to give them sugar or not.