I haven't raced at all this year probably only have enough time left to squeeze in a race or two before next year. I do plenty of training right now w/o any direct motivation other than somewhere in the not-so-near future I've got a race coming up and that's working fine for now but I'm wondering about 6 months from now if that will be enough.

What do you do to keep yourself motivated?

I'm not as motivated when not training for a race. I'll workout regaurdless because I feel better. When I have a goal it makes it easier to get up at 5:00 AM sometimes not by much though.

that i do run to train but run for the love of running
i want to keep in shape, live a long life
and always be in the minority of people who can run a mile without stopping

A lot has to do with that, but add the mentality of a former fatso into the mix and you've got almost constant motivation.

At least when I am running or cycling I can't piss anyone off. That is my motivation

Really, I get honked/yelled at all the time. I like to think of it as my own little symphony.

1

I try to stay motivated as much as I can...I can guarantee you that after this VRAA, I'll slack abit...that's why I'm happy that ours will follow shortly.

but as for what motivates me? You all do, when I read all of your reports...I like to dedicate my runs to people that I have in my life....but sometimes, I think it's guilt that motivates me....

I tell you what though, there's nothing better than the feeling of getting your ass kicked after a nice run!!

joel

I'm a competitive "snot", as my wife calls me. I try to schedule a race every month. To me racing isn't a be all and end all. My regular training needs that spark of competition every few weeks. Also, racing doesn't need to be a PR attempt every time or even the cumulation of some coaches schedule. Signing up for a race on raceday and smacking down a decent time as your "speedwork" for the week is an excellent motivator. You get a supported run with water stops, biffies, snacks, and also a good guage of your fitness. What works for me and my advice is to race monthly, race many distance, race in-town and outta-town, race for fun or race for hardware, but alot of motivation can come from a race. ...and what's with this "squeeze a race or two in before the end of the year" stuff? A couple hours on a few weekends over the next 105 days hardly seems like a squeeze...;)

coming here keeps me motivated. i like to read what runners write. it inspires me to get out most every day. also, i agree with jrjo and the race aspect. having a race per month really gives me a goal. i have YET to meet the goal, but i am a work in progress.