I'm not sure the age at which I'm supposed to pull the foreskin back on my 1 yr old son's penis. If I put pressure on his groin his penis gets alot larger but the foreskin is too tight and the head will not come out. Is it too early too worry about it, or should I just leave it alone. His penis is also recessed into his gut, all I can see on a daily basis is a fold of skin from the foreskin. help me I don't know what to do?

The foreskin is attached to the glans from birth, sometimes until puberty, or even longer. This is nothing to worry about, and is perfectly normal.

Why would you even think to do that anyway? If intervention is needed, consult your doctor. Other than that, you're proposing to injure delicate tissues for no obvious reason at all.

why would you be so cruel???

Actually, foreskin should be retracted right from the birth to detach it from the penis head. Otherwise, the smegma (the white stuff which is a combination of exfoliated (shed) epithelial cells, transudated skin oils, and moisture) will get stuck in there and cause infections.

I spoke to an urologist when my son's penis head got inflamed for the same reason and I asked him about the retraction, if we should do it or not because certain literature spoke of non-retracting the foreskin until it detached itself at about age 1). He said that all the infections and inflammations they treated in baby boys are caused because of not retracting the foreskin and properly cleaning the stuff under the foreskin.

The foreskin retraction when still attached should be done a bit forcefully until you are occupying the baby with something else, just once every day after or even better during the night bath.

I agree with Jenny. As a male who was born in 1940 when it was routine to circumcise males born in the US, I feel very lucky that my mother said NO!!!! I also feel lucky that her doctor told her to retract my foreskin to clean under it at every bath.

From the earliest I can remember and my memory goes back well before the age of five, my foreskin was retracted for cleaning and I grew up feeling that was normal. Every time any relatives or guests came to visit, who hadn't seen the new baby, it was bath time. The guests were always expected to bathe me. I have my father's home movies to prove it. The washtub was placed on the kitchen table. I was placed in it, and everyone gathered 'round. You can see her showing the cousin(s), some male but mostly female of all ages, aunts but no uncles, how to carefully retract that old foreskin.

At some point she decided it was time for me to learn to do it myself at bath time and she explained everything the doctor had told her.

I don't know if there were ever any adhesions but I never remember any pain associated with retracting it, other than the normal ouchiness of the glans due to being protected by the foreskin. I have always been able to retract it comfortably, possibly because of that doctor's advice, in which case I am very thankful.

As a teenager, when my penis became larger, the tip of the foreskin was quite tight if got caught behind the head during an erection so I was carefull not to pull it back there during masturbation. After I got married I got tired of it getting pushed back there during sex so I began stretching it by inserting my fingers while showering and forcing it open. This resulted in stretch marks that were sore until they healed but I figured that was normal and never thought about seeing a doctor about it. After all it was only skin and I stretched it.

After it was stretched so it would go back over the engorged head easily during sex, the frenulum would tear. I figured that was normal too, but I did wrap it after it tore so it wouldn't heal back together in it's original shortened condition. After several times of tearing and wrapping, it was no longer a problem and now my foreskin can easily and comfortably be pulled all the way back to where the tip is almost at my abdomen so the inner skin covers the whole shaft.

I thank my mother and that doctor for allowing me to go through life as a natural man and feeling normal and comfortable about it.

Shocking that anyone would suggest retraction on an infant or child with an intact penis. American physicians are only just learning that the foreskin is part of the penis, not a separate organ. With so many having found false reasons to make circumcision medically warranted (though it is not) Drs are only just learning what European physicians have known for quite sometime. Never, I repeat, never should you forcibly retract a child's foreskin. The first person to retract a penis should be the child. Tearing and permanent damage will likely result if you do. Despite the fact that the parents did it to this gentleman, they are by no means any kind of medical professionals, represent the majority of those who practice forcible retraction, and dodged a bullet by not hurting this child significantly by doing so. Simply read up on this subject in qualified, current medical journals on when and if you should retract your child's penis and you will see exactly what medical school taught me just this last year. I am current and you can be too if you search this info and read up in european medical journals on allowing retraction to occur natually by the child. It happens at varrying times/ages for each child. If your physician refers you to a urologist because your son's penis is still not retracted, I urge you to research the natural and appropriate response to allowing this situation to self-resolve rather than allowing the urologist to pad a surgical bill in cutting your child. Many medical doctors in the United States receive no training in the normal development of the prepuce. Thus they improperly diagnose a normal developmental condition as "phimosis."

As noted above, a large number of medical doctors have not had the benefit of the information contained on this page, because it has not become part of the standard medical curriculum. Many physicians today are unable to distingish between normal developmental tightness (as described here) and clinical phimosis. Nor are they able to answer with accuracy when the prepuce should become retractable. These ill-trained doctors may attempt to prematurely retract the foreskin which is traumatic for the child. Parents should guard against this possibility.

The prepuce contains muscle fibers that work to keep the tip closed when the child is not urinating.This may cause parents and physicians to believe that the opening is smaller than it really is. Catzel explains how to examine a child's prepuce correctly to avoid misdiagnosis.

The false diagnosis of phimosis in boys is very common in the United States and the United Kingdom. As a note, it's a fact that the average age of do not fully retract until the age of 10.4

read the full article

My God woman-your going to runi your son-!!! do not-I repeat do not ,do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Youy seem to be overly fascinated by his penis-hes is just fine-sheese

o.O o.O o.O DONT PULL IT BACK TOO EARLY IT USUALLY IS READY TO PULL BACK WHEN YOUR SON IS ABOUT 11-16 BY THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE FIDLING WITH IT HE SHOULD!

im the mother of 3 boys ages 14 12 and 10 year olds. I have always pulled back their foreskins.

I regret not retracting my son's foreskin earlier. He is now having issues, because of it. And to the large post about Europeans, ALL of my European friends did it with their sons, as I found out too late.

Stop touching your son's penis.

This may continue until puberty. The foreskin could have been removed by doctors (circumsization or something.) If you look in books that are for 9-14 year olds based on puberty and stuff, it will show a circumsized penis and a noncircumsized penis.

OK! you know what if this little guys mother want's to do this she may and you may not agreee but OH WELL i agree i am a babysitter and the parents who do not do this to their toddlers the penis begins to stink and get infected, i only sit 3-5 so it may be diffrent for u
but i hope this is helpful-ish. anyway thx for putting up with my little rant.

Thank you for your"rant".
I too feel it's a good thing for a mother to do for her son.
When you look at all the horrible things they do to boy's penises in other parts of the world and call it religious rites or introductions, to manhood I certainly cannot see how anyone could object to a loving mother retracting her sons foreskin to tenderly wash his penis.