I woke up at 5 am to a sharp shooting pain going through my middle and upper back. It got to the point the pain was so bad I was getting sick from it. I couldn't lay down or sit without pillows against my back to try and elevate it. Now I have a dull pain between my shoulder blades and upper back too. What could this be from? I've gone to my doctor many times but they say the same thing every time "take it easy and rest." what should I do?

My first impression is that you may be having an angina attack. Angina attacks can come and go, and they result from reduced blood flow to the heart muscles due to blockage of one or more of the coronary arteries causing hypoxia. Did your doctor run any tests on you before he said "take it easy and rest"? Repeat angina attacks will eventually culminate in a heart attack that can kill you. I suggest you visit the ER next time this happens. The ER doctors will, by protocol, check your heart and everything else to make sure you are ok.

Arthritis or pinched nerves in those places can do that, I'd get to a Chiropractor doctor and have him take some x-rays they sure can do more then a medical doctor assuming what it is or PLEASE have an MRI done. That is what showed up a Bulged disk on me, the only thing that did show that up in fact found 5 in that area of the back, then they can guide you what to do about them, instead of assumptions. I went through lots of assumptions and passed the buck on.

I struggle with what I call upper-middle right stabbing back pain. I have had so many different diagnoses over the years from scoliosis, something called a trigger point, nerve pain, poor posture, etc. I have been prescribed skelaktin, muscle relaxers, pain pills, mobics, NSAIDs, nurotin. None of these have ever worked for me. The best relief is Ibprophen. I find my back is aggravated when I lift small children or do push-ups.