My husband and I had sex about 4-5 hours ago (around 8 pm) and he has been feeling very dizzy, he described it as feeling as if he were spinning like he'd been drinking (vertigo). It has been going on since 8 pm. When he is sitting up and not moving he says it doesn't really bother him, but when he moves his head it feels as if he were spinning and when he lays down he will feel the same spinning sensation, it only lets up if he's been laying in the same position for a while. He has arrhythmia but said that he hasn't been having any palpitations during the dizziness. What would be causing it? He won't be able to see a doctor until tomorrow morning, should I be worried and take him to the ER?

It is difficult to assess from the brief description you have given, and I would be reticent to advise against ER without full facts, but it doesn't sound life-changing on the face of it.  How old is he?

If you have vertigo, the world spins around you, as opposed to other kinds of dizziness which make you feel woozy or light-headed.

It could be changes in blood pressure, or his arrythmia (it is not always accompanied by palpitations). It is possible that your sexual activities caused it. Was it more energetic than usual? What positions did you adopt, and when did the 'spinning' start relative to your sex? Did he have a particularly intense orgasm?

You should get certainly medical attention if he has:

• chest pain or palpitations
  • problems with his speech, vision or hearing
  • weakness in his arms or legs or problems walking
  • numbness
  • loss of consciousness.

I hope this helps as a start.

My husband is 21. He says that it's more of a vertigo feeling, the reason we don't think it is his arrhythmia is because he has never had this problem from sex and usually only has short dizziness (not vertigo) spells that are accompanied by palpitations when it actually does bother him. We did have sex more than once today, which we haven't in awhile because of my own medical problems, however I wouldn't say they were more energetic than usual and they were hours apart. It was woman on top and then man on top as far as the positions go, his orgasm was no more intense than normal and the spinning started shortly after intercourse. His speech has been fine, he says he isn't having issues with his vision but he's experiencing something similar to when you spin in a circle quickly and your eyes are trying to refocus and mostly happens after he's moved/tilted his head, he said that his hearing has been slightly off in the left ear. He has slightly high blood pressure but has never had a vertigo problem before. Otherwise no chest pain, no weakness in arms or legs, no numbness and no loss of consciousness.

It sounds to me it may be Labyrinthitis, which is an inflammation of the inner ear balance mechanism. It is often caused by a viral illness like a cold, and the main symptom is in fact vertigo, which is worse when moving. Mild hearing loss often accompanies it. Lying in bed should ease the symptoms, which usually settle within anything from a few days to a few weeks. If he has pain in his ear as well, he should certainly see his doctor.
I hope this helps.

(PS I am sorry to hear you have medical problems, and that these are affecting your sex life. If you want to talk about them please do so.)

We were both thinking that it could in fact be an ear problem but weren't sure, I'm going to have him see a doctor tomorrow to check everything out. Thank you though because that definitely helped ease our minds :) And thank you for your concern for me as well, my medical problems are slowly resolving themselves, thankfully. Mentally we were okay to do whatever but sometimes physically it was difficult. I suffer from tension headaches and occasional neck stiffness/arm tingling from a cervical sprain (the symptoms have been less often lately), but the pain has flared up from a fall I had last week. Hopefully we'll both be feeling better soon!

Pleased I could help. Hope it goes OK at doctor's. I'd be interested how you get on.

Hope too your cervical spinal problems clear up soon. Do you have massage therapy for that? Orgasms, particularly high release ones, can help with tension headaches. However you may have to make adjustments, and he may have to concentrate more on your needs.

Take care.