According to American Diabetes Association, tobacco has many bad health effects, particularly for people with diabetes. No matter how long you've smoked, your health will improve after you quit.
People with diabetes who smoke are three times as likely to die of cardiovascular disease. It was also proven that smokers with diabetes are more likely to get nerve damage and kidney disease. And that smoking raises your blood sugar level, making it harder to control your diabetes.
So kicking the habit is hard - but worth the work. There are many methods you can try to help you quit and stay away from smoking for good.
So, it simply tells us to know our goal, and stop smoking.

I hope Powerpuff's message does not fall on deaf ears. My mother had been a smoker/diabetic for 20 years when she caught pneumonia and quit smoking cold turkey. For 20 later years she had been doing great, but not taking care of her diet and sugar took a toll on her body with reultand kindey failure, dialysis, both above the knee leg amputation and quadruple bypass. A week befor she died her entire right arm up to her shoulder was amputated. It was very sad to see her suffer in this way. Even sadder is that my children never got to know her grandmother who died so young.