Hi, I’ve suffered for a long time from chronic pain and I used many different drugs, mostly opiates. I think I developed a tolerance, and now there’s nothing that can help me. What should I do?

This is a very common question. Many people don’t know how to use drugs properly, or their pain is so severe, they just can’t control it. The tolerance usually appears when the opiate is used repeatedly over a period of time. Not only that irresponsible using of drugs for chronic pain can cause tolerance, but also it is one of the common reasons for addiction and abuse. When addicted person develops a tolerance for medicine he used, he will have to find another drug to continue this terrible habit. If s/he doesn’t find another medicine, probably will start using illegal drugs. Don’t take anything else on your own. You should ask your doctor what to use for chronic pain.

I totally disagree with you. Most people who take pain medicine responsibly over time, years, will develop a tolerance. That speaks nothing of abuse. There are different drugs that can be used, and when appropriate, as well, the dosage can be increased. Nobody deserves to live in pain and be called a abuser when there tolerance goes up.