Couldn't find what you looking for?


I've been drinking since about 16 (BAD! I know) but I am 21 now and my little problem has never happened before. I could drink whatever I wanted, whenever, little or a lot, alcohol never bothered me. Well recently, within this year, anytime i take a sip! literally, the top of my lip will start to swell up and my cheeks bones, the skin will turn cherry red? I dont know if its just a little phase my body is going threw? Or if ive all the sudden developed an allergy? Wanting to know if this has ever happened to anyone else before, and if it went away???


Hello AMR92,

Swelling in the body, face or lips is not a normal symptom of drinking alcohol.  Swelling due to drinking alcohol is caused by the release of histamine because you are having an allergic response or intolerance.  A number of alcohols contain histamine which can trigger severe swelling.  Possibly even anaphylaxis.   I don't know what you are drinking but most alcohols you drink are made from grains.  You could be allergic to any of those grains.  Some symptoms of this type of allergy include swelling of the skin, digestive tract, sinuses and lungs.   The allergic response may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, skin rashes, nauses, chest pain, hives and swelling of the face.  You need to make an appointment with your doctor to get properly diagnoses.  However, it sounds like you need to quick drinking or change over to another form of alcohol such as wine.