Is it possible that your bowel movements can become irregular during menopause and then become more regular when you start hormone therapy?

The answer to your question would be yes. The change of levels of progesterone and estrogen has an effect on gastrointestinal tract.
Estrogen is a gastrointestinal stimulant. The fluctuation of amount of this hormone can cause a swing from loose stools to dry ones.

These hormones also influence the motility of intestines. When the levels of these hormones start to fluctuate, a woman may experience changes in bowel patterns.
This also happens during pregnancy or before periods.

From your question I can assume you don’t have these problems any more, but nevertheless, I will tell you what I have learnt it helps: to chew food well because this triggers acid in the stomach and enzymes that help with digestion; not to drink any liquid during meals; to eat food like green beans, soybeans, brown rice, chicken, peanuts, spinach, kale, cabbage (cooked); broccoli, etc that are rich in vitamin B; also food rich in magnesium and zinc.

These small steps usually help with constipation and regulation of bowel movements. Good luck!

no such word as "learnt"!