Hi everyone :-)

Im an 18 year old female. I have been struggling with recurrent sore throats since june of '10. They were not sure of what I had at first, I have had about 10 throat cultures and 3 blood tests. They were all inconclusive. The "stuff" that grew from my throat cultures could not be indetified and I do not/never have had mono. They diagnosed me with tonsillitis for the sake of having an actual diagnosis. My surgery is in about a week, I am having my tonsils and adenoids out, and I am terrified!! I have a history of not doing well with surgeries/ pain medicines so I am very worried. I am prone to waking up, yelling, being very angry at people and trying to escape. I usually also pass out when im on pain medicine, so they are debating not giving me any. :/ Would this be bearable without pain medince? Im trying to be very optimistic and think that since my sore throat has been so bad recently (I have not been able to eat solid food for about 2 weeks, the reason my surgery was moved up) that I'll be able to survive after surgery. I also have asthma. Did anyone who has asthma and had the surgery have any problems? My doctor said that he is going to biopsy my tonsils and adenoids after the surgery, is this normal? Did anyone else have theirs biopsied? Tips for people recovering, I've been drinking V8 Fruit fusion drinks, to get my vegetables and fruits and as weird as it sounds, slim fast. It has a lot of protein in it. Ive already lost about 7 pounds from not being able to eat, and I'm a very small girl. I only weighed 100 pounds to start off with. How many more pounds should I expect to lose from surgery?

Thanks for the help. Good luck to anyone having surgery!!

Hi there- I just had my tonsils and adnoids taken out 14 days ago (I'm 38 yrs old) and I can say that you'll definitely be able to get through this. You will most definitely NEED your pain meds. There's no way around that. The pain does get more intense in the late evenings and through the night but as long as you're on schedule or ahead of schedule on your pain meds...you'll get through it.

Also, you're probably going to lose some weight. I lost 11 pounds. I think the slim fast drinks are going to be a little tough to take in the beginning only because they are dairy based and dairy will leave mucous in your throat (which is not ideal at all). I recommend making vegetable juices (not V-8...too much acid in them and they'll burn your throat) as soon as you can get them down. My healing sped up astronomically the minute I started making my own juice (spinach, kale, celery, apple, cucumber)...I started juicing on day 9 of my recovery and really wish I would have started sooner. I guarantee you'll see a difference.

Good luck with your surgery!

Hello. I understand that a lot of people do have fear about this, especially when it comes to adenoidectomy and adenoidectomy side effects.  My mom was scared as a hell so I was reading a lot about it -every single night, every single day. Some of the side - effects that can happen are a sore throat, nausea and vomiting, bad breath and in some occasions breathing as well. I know that a lot of people are worried about bleeding, but you should know that bleeding as a side effect usually occur infrequently after adenoidectomy, but may occur up to 10 days following treatment. Follow that and consult the doctor. Good luck.