OK here is my situation. I am 41 and had a tonsillectomy approx 1 1/2 mths ago. I went to my 1 week and dr. said looked good. Well after all the swelling went down and things SEEMED to be getting back to normal (about 2 -3 weeks ago) I have been getting a feeling in the back of my throat that feels like on the right side of the FAR back of my tounge there is something "stuck" (I looked with a depresser and noticed a lump like thing WAY in back of the right side of my tounge) I also feel like my throat is EXTREMELY dry and I get thick mucus draining from my sinus' and down the back of my throat. My breath seems to have an odor from it as well. Now I normally have allergies and this wouldnt seem so odd but this feeling I cant "clear" out of my throat. I have SEEN mucus clinging to the back of my throat and took a qtip to try to remove it but it is VERY thick when I FINALLY "hock" it up it still feels as though there is something there. And at times (esp when im eating) it feels like a flap opens and closes not nessicarily cutting off my breathing but WEIRD hard to explain feeling. The feeling seems to go up the back of my throat in say, the "adnoid" area behind the uvula. I did research online and seemed I had a clogged taste bud (as far as the thing on back of my tounge) Well about 1 1/2 weeks ago I went to my E.N.T who said I "healed like a 10 yr old" but was still a little swollen and when he check the back of my right side he said I had some "tonsil tissue" and he said he wanted to see me back to compare sides in about 8 weeks. As far as the dry throat he said that would go away. I didnt mention to him about the mucus cuz it wasnt as bad then. So my question is. Why am I having MORE problems with my throat NOW than ever! Seems as though this tonsillectomy has opened up a new can of worms and I can't seem to find any answers. Now mind you this ALL happened AFTER my tonsillectomy, I NEVER had these feelings prior. Does ANONE have any suggestions?? Also if I try to talk in a high pitch (like to my cat) my voice 1/2 way goes out. What is UP with all this??? ANY help would be MUCH appreciated. Im ready to go see my regular M.D. Oh and also my soft palate when I yawn feels really tight too! My throat seems more of a mess NOW than the 1st 2 weeks after surgery HELP!!!!
Thanks In Advance!!!

Hi there, I think that you definitely need to go back to the doctor and tell him about this because something may not have healed properly. It also sounds to me that possibly you sustained an injury to your vocal chords. Can you let me know what your doctor says?

I'm 17 years old and I got mine out bout 3 weeks ago, and I'm having the same problem.

I'm 27 and I had my surgery maybe 2 to 3 years ago and I always thought that it was normal and just part of not having the tonsils but lately its been extremely annoying and it just doesn't get better its been getting worse. Did you find out what it was? If so let me know Ive been thinking that maybe its due to not having my adenoids removed at the same time, maybe that is the issue they should have done both... Who knows if you do let me know.

My name is John, and I had a tonsilectomy & and UPPP 6 weeks ago. I have exactly the same problem you descrided. Additonally, I was suppose to have my uvula shaved, but it feel off during recovery. Anyway, how are you feeling today? Did your symptoms subside. If so how long did it take? Hope to hear from you and all is well. John.

I have this too but it’s been 4 years since the surgery and it started a year ago no one will listen to me or help me