I had my tonsils removed on 29th July, 1 week a go today, and while the pain in my throat seems to be getting better my jaw is still extremely stiff and I am unable to open my mouth wider than about 1.5cm. It doesn't feel that painful when I try to open it but as soon as it gets to a certain point (about the right size to fit a toothbrush in my mouth) it feels like my mouth is really wide open and can't go any wider. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do to help resolve it or should I go back to my dr? Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can offer :-)

You may have a jaw infection secondary to your tonsilectomy. Yes, go back to your doctor as soon as possible.

Hi Shawny: I'm not disregarding what hoseclamp is saying - because if there is an infection you will DEFINITELY need to see a doctor. BUT I have had several surgeries in my life, jaw, throat, even endoscopes, wisdom teeth pulled etc. And when we are under or are given a sedative, the surgeons can get your jaw into UNREAL positions, usually dislocating it, so when they intibate you - put a breathing tube down your throat while doing the operation - it is just easier for them. This TOTALLY fits with that! What I would suggest is GENTLY massaging your jaw joint, putting warm pacs and ice pacs on it - changing them back and forth. Taking Ibuprofen - liquid will be better for you of course! And use warm massage oil on your jaw, the more warmth the better to help the pulled muscles and tendons. I would hazzard a guess that you might have a pulled cheek muscle too. So if you massage with about 3 fingers together, and go from under your ears uptowards your temple, you will feel the hardness of the muscles and just gently try and release it.

IF you feel you have an infection though, definitley see your doctor. IF it is a pulled muscle or a settling down dislocation, you should notice a difference as soon as you finish your first massage. Let us know how you go on OK? And good luck and health!

Thank you both for you advice :-) I tried putting a heat pack on my jaw and then massaging it with some lavendar oil and it did free up abit. I still can't open it as wide as I can normally but it definitely has more movement now. I will keep going with the massages and hopefully it will get back to normal soon, if it doesn't improve anymore I will see my dr just to rule out an infection.

I got my tonsils out a few weeks ago. I had a lot of trouble opening my mouth the first couple of days. I think its best to just keep trying to open it. Practice, practice, practice. Part of recovery is re-learning how to do those simple everyday things. If you keep at it, I'm sure it will loosen up just fine!

Hi shawn: Lavendar is a wonderful oil! I used to make my own massage oils and bath products! IT is best just to keep with a basic oil like that, due to the fact that you are massaging around your lymph nodes! As some oils are not a good thing to get into your blood stream!

I remember when I had jaw surgery it took about 3 weeks, if you have one of the buckwheat bags, laying on those can REALLY warm up the area! It is best to warm up the joint before you start massaging! Don't push too much with trying to open your mouth OK? It will eventually release! If you have someone to massage your neck too, that's a good thing! Because when they put your head way back, it can pull the back side of your neck - the 2 big muscles that hold up your head! The more you release tension in one area, the other areas are slightly released too! Good luck honey!