For the past week now, I've had a slight pain on the back left side of my jaw. It's not extremely painful, and it only occurs when I open my mouth wide enough (like when I yawn). I haven't done/eaten anything in particular (that I can think of) that may have caused the pain. My mom thinks I sprained something or pulled some muscle, but I'm thinking that perhaps I'm getting a wisdom tooth in? My jaw is pretty small and my wisdom teeth are all hidden somewhere in my gums. I'm thinking that the pain is caused by a wisdom tooth trying to grow in but can't since there's no space. Either that or some random toothache? What are your opinions on this? Please let me know soon! Thanks~ :-D

Hi: At first I thought you might have the beginning sigsn of TMJ below is the symptoms:

http://www.tmjoint.com/faqsymp.html

Also with regards to the wisdom teeth, come hell or highwater, IF it is them they WILL make it through. Also when they come through you can have from slight discomfort to having to have them taken out by surgery! So the best thing to do is put your finger at the back of your teeth and feel that area and see if it hurts you.

You could have actually done what your mom says - ALWAYS listen to your mother XD ;-) - and just pulled a tendon or muscle at the back. Warmth and then cold is good for any inflamation. Good luck and health!

Thank you for the reply! I just realizing my topic title sounds really dumb--I apologize. I was preoccupied with hw. XD

Hi there, did you actually figure out what it was that was wrong with your jaw? I know that it was probably very painful so I'd like to hear if you were able to figure it out. Thanks!

No, I actually never figured it out. The pain went away after about a week. It comes back occasionally but I never got it checked out. I'll keep you updated if I do find out, hahaha

It's so odd that the pain went away like that. Did you ever eventually get it checked out? I'm a little concerned because I have a similar issue and would like to know if it's harmful or not. Thanks!