when not erect my foreskin doesnt cover my entire glands(leaves a few milimetres sticking out) - is this normal.
it is slightly uncomfortable when anything touches the glands - is this normal.
when erect it seems there isnt enough foreskin as it rolls back a lot and feels restricting

Look, I know that an exposed glans may be an annoyance but it is how it is. Since you have already had it like that, it is certainly normal.
Mine foreskin is fore example quite long and it does cover the glans when not erect and it stays behind the glans when I leave it in erect state.
However, your variant is also normal just different. We can’t all have the same genitals, and while some guys have short foreskins others have too long that don’t even expode glans during erection.

I am surprised that your glans hasn’t already gotten used to being exposed. It should have already if it’s been like that since forever. Usually glans that is exposed, like circumcised for example, it becomes a bit thicker and less sensitive to irritation.

Yours is normal, believe me, I’ve looked online for normal penile variants. I can’t remember the site but you could look it up like that. I suppose you will just have to get used to it or talk to your urologist to see if there was something you could do about it.

DanDan's roght. Frequent and prolonged exposure will cause the uncomfortable hypersensitivity to fade. Maybe you just haven't given it enough time, or enough exposure.
You are lucky to have one you think is too short than one too long, believe me.

I have a limited degree of phymosis.
Because of this my entire glands have never been fully exposed. In order to deal with this I was performing limited stretching exercises.
However I over stretched myself and managed to pull it partially over the glands. However I could only do so when only partially erect. Because of this even when not erect, the foreskin wont return to it's orginal position.
The glands is now always visible, also I can't become fully erect because of the pain of where my foreskins actual aperture is placed. Also, because the glands have never been exposed like this it is constantly irritating. HELP!

I have a similar situation.

The top half of my glans is always exposed and the lower half usually covered. Sometimes the skin rolls back making the sensitive bottom quite irritated.

Does anyone have any advice?

You may lengthen your foreskin to completely cover your glans by stretching in the same way that guys restore their foreskins. 

Search for "foreskin restoration" and you will get lots of information.