What causes this? I've had it on the last few rides I've been on. Any ideas what am I doing wrong????

Could be where your cleat is attached to your shoe. If it is too far forward or too far back, it may cause a hot spot or numbing while riding.

Another quick thought. Are your shoe laces too tight?

1
Assuming you are not cold.

That makes sense except I've been using the same shoes for 2 1/2 years without this problem in the past. My cleat is under the ball of my foot and my shoes are velcro.... :shrug: Just curious, its not terrible I just was wondering if there was anything I was doing wrong.
Bob: no, not cold, it was in the 80s yesterday!

You know my feet have grown 1.5 shoe sizes in the past 2 years with all this running. It is possible that your are changing too, and you are just noticing it on those shoes first. :shrug:

new laces maybe?

new laces maybe?
New laces on velcro? How would you do that?

I had no idea this could happen. :umno: I better stop running. NOW.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks running can make their feet bigger. I wore a 7 in high school. 7 1/2 by graduation. An 8 by the time I graduated college. Now I think I'm pushing 8 1/2. When does it end????

And that may explain it, my shoes do seem a little smallish lately maybe they shrank...

Running does make your feet bigger. I've come across a few articles on it. All that pounding literally loosens up all the bones and tendons in there. And running also lowers arches which when you think about it, cup your hand and then extend it flat to simulate, it doesn't take a whole lot of arch fall to lengthen your foot.

Someday we'll all sit in our wheelchairs at the nursing home tripping all the nurses with the canoes at the end of our legs

My foot has grown almost a full size over the last 3 years.

new laces maybe?
New laces on velcro? How would you do that? i have laces AND velcro on my skates. why not on bike shoes? pardon my ignorance. i use toes clips on my bike. I'm afraid i'll fall clipped in.

Hyper I think my shoes actually came with laces too but it seemed like overkill. The tongue is already elastic then the velcro goes across your feet toddler-shoe style, seems like plenty to keep my feet in... :shrug:

As for cages v. clips(clipless), I was nervous at first to switch over but now I feel much more unsafe in the cages as shoes/laces/soles etc seem to get caught in there and I could see going down struggling to get caught in the cage much more easily than with my clipless which just takes a simple turn of my foot which works the same way every time. Clipless are easier to get into than cages too. Not to mention how much more efficient pedaling became for me, hamstring woman, when I finally ditched the cages but thats another thread Its definitely personal preference.

Friggin' showoff.
My feet were an 8AAA supah high arch before running, now they're an 8.5M with nearly no arch. 8O

cherylpf, do you only get the numbness when riding? not when walking or running around? No other pain in foot?

For months and months, I had numbness in the same general area on long runs...and ignored it. Over time, started getting really nasty cramping pain at the base of 3rd and 4th toes in my foot. Turned out to be Morton's neuroma, which a podiatrist had to remove. Probably wouldn't have had a problem if I'd changed shoes when i first had the numbness.

Might want to test out shoes with a slightly roomier toebox, just to see if it might help. Could be any number of things, but using another pair of shoes seems like a cheap thing to try out! Definitely better than surgery.