Hi, I got a new pair of Nike Air Max and on it seems mostly on the eliptical machine at the gym they start to hurt after awhile (walking and jogging seem fine). I've used them enough that I am pretty sure it's not that they're not broken in yet.

Between the first and second eyelet it is starting to bubble and it feels like the blood is being cut off to my toes. The discomfort is pretty much from the ball of my foot to my toes on both sides. The back part / heel is fine. I was wondering what that's a sign of? Not wide enough? Too tight? Too lose?

I've tried lacing them with several different "tightness-es" and nothing seems to work.

Here's a pic of the "bubble" I am talking about between first and second eyelet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

i'd get fitted again, making sure you don't need an extra wide shoe. sounds like width to me. were you fitted for these? i wouldn't use them again until there's no discomfort.

:1:
Sounds like the eliptical motion is cause foot shift and loss of circulation.
Also, get fitting in the afternoon. Your feet swell during the day.

I'd also like to add your shoe's shouldn't need "breaking in". If they are not comfortable right away, take them back!

Hey,

Thanks for the replies.

I am not sure if it would be the eliptical machine themselves because I have been using that machine for awhile and I never had a problem with my old shoes (which were cross trainers).

They fit great in the store and as I said, for running, they still feel fine. It's really only on the eliptical when I start to feel the discomfort.

I was thinking it may be a problem where the point of pressure on the eliptical is below my ankle, where with the cross trainers it was on or above my ankle.

So I am a little concerned that even if I do go buy a new pair with a wider width I may still have a problem. I may just need cross trainers for the eliptical?

8O Could be $120 out the window. :(

When I use an elliptical for an extended period of time, I find that my forefoot starts to go a bit numb. This doesn't happen when I run or walk.

For me, the pressure seems to be applied more on the ball of the foot on the elliptical, but when I run I have a near-flatfooted heel strike, which applies the force in a different part of the foot. Might be something similar for you. :shrug:

I wouldn't say they're out the window--if you have no problems running in them, then keep them for that and use your cross trainers for the elliptical.

But, if you feel that same sensation after running for awhile, then maybe you have a pair of shoes best left for walking and yardwork.

Well, I picked up another pair today... nike max air tl 2s... hopefully these will do me better. They rise a bit higher on the ankle like my old cross trainers.

The last technique here is using two laces to tie up at the top and bottom. It might look goofy, but if it feels good, who cares. Could provide the loosening at the bottom you need. Also, experiment with skipping some of the holes as you lace up. Shoes aren't designed to provide any benefit to using all the holes. Do what makes your foot feel best.

Something else to consider is the type of shoe I find comfy..

a lot of the Adidas models have the tongue as a continuous piece of fabric as the toe of the shoe so there's not that bunching of material above your forefoot.

On some shoes expesialy dress shoes, the leather crimps in one spot when you walk and the toes bend up.