Hi, I was diagnosed with mono about four years ago. I am in college now, so I have been getting alot less sleep then usual, and recently I got that nasty sore throat that I had when I had mono. I also got an extremely high fever and I have been having very bad night sweats. I heard that you can't get these horrible symptoms more than once, but I feel like I have the exact ones all over again. However, I didn't have bad night sweats the first time around like I do now.
Does anyone know if a relapse is possible?? Thanks!

Hi
Unfortunately is it possible to get mono more than once. And, as you will remember from your first bout with it, there is only one way to find out if you have it...blood test. Go see your doctor. It might just be a cold but it's better to know.

Actually the blood test will come back positive regardless as mono stays in your system for the rest of your life, it is a member of the herpes virus, however you should still go see your doctor, they can help piece together whether or not you are suffering from a relapse which is rare but possible. I know this because I've also had mono and my doctor made sure I knew the deal with relapses and it staying in my system.

"Actually the blood test will come back positive regardless as mono stays in your system for the rest of your life, it is a member of the herpes virus, however you should still go see your doctor, they can help piece together whether or not you are suffering from a relapse which is rare but possible. I know this because I've also had mono and my doctor made sure I knew the deal with relapses and it staying in my system. "

Actually, the test will not come back positive, since they diagnose mono based on your white blood cell count; which recovers after you "recover" from mono, although the virus does stay in your system for life.
But, certain things can trigger a mono relapse. Such as stress, lack of sleep, or even being sick for a long period of time.

Just go to the doctor and get a blood test. It is very unlikely to have a mono relapse, but it can still happen.

As it turns out there are two different viruses that cause mono... You can have one but not the other and contract the other later on. If you've had EBV mono you probably won't have symptoms from it again, but you can still catch CMV mono and have the exact same symptoms! Yes, you need a blood test to confirm that you have the virus and yes it will come back positive for which ever virus you've previously had but it may or may not come back positive for the other! There are also other illnesses that mimic mono symptoms, for instance I thought my daughter had strep and instead was diagnosed with mono, you should always see your doctor immediately when experiencing these symptoms as some of these illnesses such a toxoplasmosis can be fatal.

Yes, relapse is possible. It could still be something else so i reccomend getting a blood test. My sister got mono at a rare age (5) and is now 17. we believe she has it again.

Hey i have the same feeling there's nothing you can really do about it the only thing you can do is just tough it out it usually goes away in a few days

Hopefully no one gets unluckily like me. I got Mono 3 times. Once when I was 16 again at 22 and 23. This was confirmed by the doctors i saw and blood test. This is very uncommon but my white blood cells count showed it came back every time. I now test negative for it, even 10 years later.

Uh mono is not a member of the herpes virus. I'm not sure where you got that from. Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

Yes it is. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), also known as human herpesvirus 4, is a member of the herpes virus family. It is one of the most common human viruses. EBV is found all over the world. Most people get infected with EBV at some point in their lives. EBV spreads most commonly through bodily fluids, primarily saliva. EBV can cause infectious mononucleosis, also called mono, and other illnesses.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

In fact, you can continue to test positive for the virus for the rest of your life after symptoms resolve. Some people even continue to spread the virus off and on during their lives.

the "mono-spot" rapid test won't remain positive for life, but your antibodies will - they are 2 separate tests - the rapid test is for current infection and the antibodies show current and/or past infection

That's not true I had mono years ago and had symptoms a year later and got tested and it was negative.

I had mono when I was 13 then again when I was 16. I recently had surgery on my jaw and I've been feeling horrible for several weeks now. Over the past 3 days, all I can do is lay on the bed or couch and sleep. I feel pretty useless right now.

Hi Guest I got Mono or Glandular fever as we call it in UK 14 months ago and in that time I have had 4 bad relapses with it with all original symptoms,currently in bed on 4th relapse