My plan is to lose 22 lbs in about 2 months, and I'll need aggressive workout schedule. But, I don't think I could do this by myself. I joined a gym nearby and I had a free consultations with a personal trainer. The idea of someone helping me lose weight sounds great, but the cost for trainer's service was $3000 and I can't afford it since I'm college student with no job.

Should I stick to my initial plan and try losing weight on my own, or should I try to find a money and hire personal trainer? Would my weight loss be more effective if I do so? If not, could you suggest some effective workout routines?

Thanks!

I think a personal trainers main function is transferring money from your pocket to theirs.

The exercise places around here all have people who circulate around the place to see how/what people are doing, and advise them. I think they could be in serious legal trouble if someone were to hurt themselves do to a lack of supervision.

So you don't recommend them, right? Can you suggest some effective workout routine I can do by myself?

Thanks.

Celebrity

Well... that's a lot of money :) 

if you know how to perform exercises (the exact posture) without someone helping you, I think personal trainer isn't necessary. On the other hand - if you don't have a clue about anything - you'll be going from a machine to machine and your training will be more of less meaningless, at least at the beginning. So, if this is the case, I would go for a personal trainer or at least a friend who has been in gym and can show you how to workout. 

If you are a student and without a job - I think there is no dilemma - you won't hire a personal trainer :) 

But there are so many things you can learn yourself. 

Every training starts with a warmup - easy jogging, just to get heart rate a bit higher - since you are a complete beginner - 5 minutes is enough. 

Next thing - weights or machines. Every machine has a description what muscle group that machine supports, so pay attention to that and start from there. Start with low weights to avoid injury and muscle soreness - well, if you haven't worked out, you will probably have sore muscles anyway, but try to minimize that ... You can work on total body - 1-3 exercises for each muscle group (legs - calves, quads, hamstrings, thigs), arms (biceps, tricpes, forearms if necessary), back, abs...

of you can focus on a single muscle group each training and work on that muscles - and of course then rotate - Monday (legs), Wednesday (arms...)     

For a beginner - I would go for a total body workout. 

Another thing - are you a male or a female? What do you want to accomplish? Weight loss or bulking up? 

And one more thing - NUTRITION - body is made in the kitchen. 

So, hon... if you are interested in more info, let me know ... I will be around. ;) 

Celebrity

Oh, I saw it now ... 22 lbs in 2 months... Well - sorry to disappoint you but hardly doable. And if doable - that will be some hard core training and hard core, strict and by the plan nutrition. being a beginner, inlcuding the soreness you'll have in the first weeks, you are aiming for an injury and a drop-off. 

10-15 lbs is possible, but still - a very hard core regime. In this case, take a personal trainer. S/he (and you!) will have to be very very dedicated your goal. 

Good luck hon!