Hi, I have serious problem with bowel obstruction. My doctor even suspects twisted bowel. I suddenly started experiencing great pain in abdominal region, and I need to do bowel preparation and sigmoidoscopy to have compete diagnose. Does anybody have any experience with twisted bowel?

Hi, I had emergency surgery because of twisted bowel, but the reason for twisted bowel, doesn’t have to be necessarily twisted bowel. Since, the small intestine can make limited moves from the lining of the abdomen, occasionally this connection is loose allowing the bowel to twist on itself and untwist. In this case symptoms come and go, leaving no permanent consequences. But, if problem persists, blocked intestine is left without any oxygen and food supply causing what is called strangulation, and the affected section of bowel begins to die. This is an emergency state, and requires immediate surgical assistance. The death rate is as high as 37% in people who develop strangulation.

I was diagnosed with a twisted bowel after the doctors did a colonoscopy on me. I'm pretty sure it became twisted from two infections I had at once: C. Diff, mono, and also gallbladder problems. The reason why I think this is because the infections disrupted my colon and its flora. I would have severe constipation and severe diahrea to the point where I could barely drink water. When I am sick with something, usually my colon will hurt in the twisted area and sometimes constipate me. But now, living with a twisted colon isn't as bad because it usually only acts up with infections.

Yes...I do also. It's horrible and it's all because of the hysterectomy I had two years ago. I have now been told to take miraLAX for the rest of my life! But it doesn't work!!! Help!!!