I have had bowel problems since I was in diapers. When I was a year old, I pushed out my intestines. Now at 21 years of age, I've had a little problem with bleeding in the past. Without treatment, it would go away after 2 weeks or so. I just gave birth about six weeks ago, and since then, not only have I had bleeding, but also tissue, almost like a period, in my stool. I have been to my six week checkup, and the doctor inserted her finger in my anus, and said she couldn't feel anything. Does this mean that it could be farther up, or perhaps something else?

Hi! I think that your doc had just a superficial look at your problem. Did she order any other exams after not finding any hemorrhoids or just dismissed you?

As far as I know, if there’s bleeding from anus, then your digestive tract should be examined for abnormalities or diseases.
If they don’t find anything with “the finger”, then they should use an anoscope to look deeper for internal hemorrhoids or another device (can’t remember the name) to look inside your rectum. If this turns clear, then your colon should be checked either with sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy to see if there’s any inner GI bleeding. There are so many possible infections and inflammations in the GI tract that could have caused bleeding and I reckon it should be checked.

What did the doc say to do about this blood passing?

Did you have problems with hemorrhoids and passing stool during pregnancy?

She only said "everything appeared to be healed" I've thought about talking to a gastrointestine specialist. I never had any problems during pregnancy with bowel problems. I don't really like the sound of them sticking anything else or bigger than a finger up there. Do you know if this is painful, or if they give you drugs?

Anesthesia is usually not given as these procedures are not painful but could be uncomfortable. You may feel a pressure and a need to defecate because an air will be introduced inside to dilate the parts being examined. Before they insert “the tubes”, they will check with “the finger” if there are any blockages on the way, and if not, they will perform the test. You need to clean your bowels before the procedures by a special diet and probably laxatives prescribed by them, so that they wouldn’t have problems with the “left-overs” in your colon/rectum>

I know of two procedures for checking up for the bleeding: anoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. During an anoscopy, a doc views your anus, anal canal and possibly rectum. During sigmodoiscopy, lower part of the colon is viewed as well.

There are no risks involved in these procedures, maybe only a slight bleeding if biopsy is performed as well.