Hi, my new boyfriend told me that he is suffering from type 1 diabetes. I would like to know something more about this disorder and how would I behave in some situation. This is new for me and I would like to be supportive for him. If someone has similar experience I would be glad to hear.

Hi, I am also suffering from type 1 diabetes so I may tell you few things you need to know. People who are suffering from such disorders have to inject themselves several times per day with insulin. Also they have some eating habits and have to exercise because it is very important for be in good condition. Also alcohol and cigarettes are strictly forbidden.

Hi, my boyfriend of 9 months has type 1 diabetes as well. I know a little about it, but mostly I just feel in the dark about his medical life. I would also like to learn more about it, because I know it is a part of his life, and he is a part of my life. I feel like it would be a burden to ask him, but I would like to have just as much of an understanding of it as he does, so I can really understand how it impacts his life. I know that diabetics can have seizures if they get too low, and that if they do have a seizure, you should put sugar or icing on their gums, as it is the fastest way for their bodies to absorb sugar. If you are dating a diabetic, you should probably know this, in case you are alone together, and something happens. I was wondering if something that happens to my boyfriend is normal...when he gets low, he loses all of his sex drive. is this normal for diabetics?

to be a little more informative:
they have to inject with insulin when theyre blood sugar is too high. it helps break down the glucose. when the blood sugar is low, they need to eat.
my boyfriend suffers from type 1 diabetes as well. usually i carry a bag or 2 of skittles in case he gets low. thats what he likes. starbursts work well too. try to stay away from chocolate. although it has sugar, it has fat which consumes the sugar so it doesnt work as well.
i usually try to be a little pushy with him checking his sugar with a meter. i dont know how much you know about it, but the meter is the little thing that records and tells you how high your sugar is. theyre supposed to check pretty often and my boyfriends in the stage where he likes to ignore that he has it. and he gets very upset and angry when hes low or high (referring to sugar) so i know it annoys him, but its for his health. sometimes he gets mad that i ask him to check, but i know it needs to be done. when theyre sugar spikes (high), or drops(low) he tends to feel very uncomfortable and nauseous. i usually rub his back or massage his head until his sugar regulates again. but everyones different. id just sit down and let your boyfriend know that you want to be as involved as he wants and even though you dont know it all, you want to understand. have him explain what happens, thats what i did. idk how old you are. my boyfriend and i are 16. i know thats young and what not but take it as youd like. i also go to all of my boyfriends doctor appointments with him. he likes that i go and theres and social worker that visits now and again at his appointments and she helps me to understand whats happening and what all i can do to make him feel better. but at the end of the day, the best person to ask is him. good luck, and i hope all is well.

My boyfriend has type 1 and I know some about it. This is some information, and I believe applys to all type 1 diabetics. When he eats, he is suppose to take an insulin shot 10 min before the meal, his meals are suppose to be no less than 4 hours apart, when he checks his blood sugar on his machine it's suppose to be between 70 and 120, when he is low, give him something containing sugar to bring it up. When his blood sugar gets low, he gets really irritable and when it's REALLY low, he sometimes doesn't even know whats going on. When he's high, make sure he takes some insulin. Some signs I notice in person are slurring words, walking funny, acting as if he has no care about what's going on at all. and over text, he spells words wrong. Idk about your boyfriend, but mine has a bottle of sugar pills he carries for when he is low. but if he gets low enough, he can faint, and he has an emergency kit he carries. it's in a red case and you take the syringe, squirt it in the little glass container of sugar, shake it up, get it back up into the syringe, make sure there are no bubbles, and stab it in his leg. I think that's all the information I know about it. But even if he gets a little angry, keep on him about it because it's his health and when they don't take care of it, it can shorten their life.

why are they "forbidden"?

Devin Yeary wrote:

why are they "forbidden"?

They are not "forbidden" Doctors just suggest that you dont drink or smoke when you are a diabetic. Alcohol can affect your blood sugar just like anything else you consume. My boyfriend has been type 1 diabetic his entire life, he drinks and smokes, although it isnt good for him to do so. Also keep in mind a Doctor is going to tell everyone, regardless of what medical condition you may have, that you should drink or smoke.

sorry meant to say shouldn't drink or smoke

Hi my name is Kym.I have been dating a type 1 diabetic for over a yr now. Last week he was put in the hospital because he wasn't taking care of himself. I wanted to learn more so I could help him. Go out and buy a log book and take part write his blood sugar Down everytime he tests attend classes with him I mean look things up on line or even ask him I learnt alot by just asking my boyfriend.

Because of the sugar in alcohol and tobacco in cigarettes

Alcohol and cigarettes are not forbidden, and they don't need to exercise (any more than a normal person) if they don't want to as it can all be managed with insulin. If they are active, this can be taken into account in their regime. The best thing to do is to ask him yourself, he will most likely be happy you show such an interest and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to tell you?

Im experiencing the same thing with my boyfriend he just recently diagnosed with diabetics after that he became Moody and grumpy most of the time when i ask him about his condition he doesn't want to talk about it he just keep on telling me that its bad for him to be stress out so when were arguing he's not talking to me. I'm so worried about him and about our relationship. What should i do?

Hi , ive been dating someone for a week now and I just learned he has type 1 diabetes he didn't even tell me my best friend did I'm just not sure what to do about it.