Hey
I'm 19 and are going to find out this month if I only have one kidney! I'm a horse rider never take it safe but if I find out I do only have one kidney I might calm myself down alittle! I have had lower back pain all my life when it gets at it's worst that has to be the most painfull thing I have been through. I also have thinning bones not sure if that has anything to do with only one kidney? I wish everyone on here the best of luck with everything :-D xXx

i have one kidney, chronic constipation, my lower back hurts, and I have mental illness, is there a connection?

Hi my name is Hanna! am from Africa! i found out that i have only one Kidney like 4 years ago! am in good condition but feel this little pain on my back some times!! my doctor said that my life expectancy is as equal as people living with two Kidney!

Hey, honestly lol no worries, I was born with one kidney and I have never noticed a thing. I am 6 foot 9, athletic and 100% healthy. I have played sports my whole life and am a nationally ranked basketball player and have a chance to play at any D1 college in th country next year. If thats not proof that having one kidney dosent matter i dont no what is, also I remember hearing the doctor say that you only need one kidney and in 3000 years humans will evolve to only have one. Hope this helped!

Just to throw another one in the mix... 31 year old male and after going for a CT scan on a completely unrelated issue I had been told that I only have one Kidney and it's the left one. I do admit that my first thought was that somewhere along the line I was organ harvested but the only time (and only scar) I've been under the knife is for a hernia operation when I was in primary school.

Now I've never known about it before and honestly, I've thus far lived life as though I didn't know -- as you'd expect. I've played full contact sport in my youth, practised a physically intensive martial arts for 8 years from the age of 16 where I've had my fair share of heavy bumps, knocks and blows and I do (perhaps quite badly of me) drink alcohol like a fish breathes water and have a less than good diet.

As far as I know, everything else is in the green. Blood pressure is fine and I presently have no other health issues at all. My point here is that as far as I can tell, you can lead a perfectly 'normal' life regardless and I'm well into the 'naughty' side.

Yes, in 2009, I had bladder lift surgery. Stayed an extra day to having tests done. Doctors told me I had only one kidney that was functional. They told me that I could have been born with it. No equipment in 1950 to establish that. Had a wreck in 94 and the doctors said I could have damaged it permanently then. Don't know. Have had lower back problems on the left side, functional kidney on that side and pain here and there. Now I have a Sebaceous Cyst behind the vaginal wall to be removed by surgery. Will this affect my only kidney I have now to have this surgery done. I just want to make sure I will be ok in the near future. I have 4 grandchildren to love and want to be around a lot.

Hi my name is Randy and I was born with only one kidney, my left one. I didnt find out till I was 23 my wife and I were trying to have a child. Months went by and still no pregnancy. She went to the Dr and everything was normal, so they sent me to be tested. after weeks of testing I was sent to the urologest and found I had no kidney on my right side resulting in no vas deferens or seminal vescular on that side to carry the ejaculate out. we were still able to have kids eventually but only through Invitro- fertilization. we now have healthy twins and they are 10. And furthermore medical wise no problems, I've been in sports and have had phisical labor all my life.

Hey, I'm a female 20 years old (will be 21 soon).
Ever since I was born and was able to really understand what's going around me I knew that I had one kidney (the right one), ever since then I do some urine and blood tests every 3 or 4 months as a check up. Fortunately, almost every time the results are clean and the doctor emphasizes that there's nothing to worry about and I can live a normal life. The only thing he keeps on mentioning is that I should drink water as much as I can, try not to smoke, exercise (walking or jogging), and just lead a normal life.
What I do is: I drink about 2 - 2.5 Liters/day which has really helped me lose weight, a couple of months ago I decided to go to the gym and exercise 3 days/week, since I'm a huge fan of sports I also got enrolled in a boxing class, I smoke occasionally (now it's been 2 months and a half since the last time I smoked), and I also drink occasionally (just Vodka) .. That's everything that comes to my mind now.
While growing up I was much of a tomboy so I played all kinds of sports, basketball, football, riding bikes .. Everything
I've had a couple of accidents and injuries but nothing serious. Looking back at it now I don't regret it and I still engage in such sports if I ever had the chance.
My advice is lead a normal life, don't be scared, drink lots of water, visit your doctor regularly (I don't think once a year is enough though every time I have an appointment I complain), it might help as well to watch your diet (I just remembered my doctor always says to monitor my salt intake), exercise often (that's also my doctor's advice), and keep in mind having one kidney does not mean you're not normal or healthy ..
If that helps, I know someone with one kidney; she got married, has 3 kids, smokes A LOT, and she is perfectly FINE! I'm not saying do the same (when it comes to smoking) I'm just saying chill out and live your life.
Life is too short to waste it on hiding in the corner and worrying!

N. H.

I'm 28 I just found out I only have one kidney my right one. I have lived a normal life I was in the Marine Corps(they didn't detect it either), Wrestled in high school played tackle football, fought kids after school, BMX, dirt bikes (crashed a million times), jiu-jitsu. I used to smoke and do drugs and drink which you shouldn't do even if you have a hundred kidneys. The only thing is I have had slightly high blood pressure but that's because I eat junk most of the time. I live a very healthy life I have always been more athletically gifted than the average people I know , I believe this is becoming more common because it's the human organism adapting to it's envioronment and becoming more efficient in a thousand years we'll all have one kidney just consider yourself special no disadvantage at all. :-P

ps. I'm glad I never knew I had only one kidney I wouldn't have lived life to the fullest I love being physical. so If you know you have only one kidney don't hold back you only live once. Peace!

Hello , i am 27 now and i just discovered that i have one kidney and it is the left one that i have, i just have a question.
Does it matter which kidney is missing?? i hope that my question is clear enought since that English is not my mother tongue.
Best

Ashley! I am 53 but I was only born with one kidney and a double uterus too! I have 4 grown children! had 1/2 of the uterus removed! was told that i could have seperate pregnancies in each of the uterus's, so be careful! you could have one child and a few months later have another one!!!

Hi i was born with one kidney when i was born...im not aloud to play contact sports so have your kid stay away form contact sports,soda (with caffeine) or safer if just without soda and tea.you should ask your doctor oh also no koolaid it has to much sugar and if you get to much sugar in your kidneys and you only have one your working it to hard. :]

I lost my kidney at 8 weeks of age and have had no problems the last 40+ years.  In fact, I am training for my first marathon.  If you want to hear my story in detail please see Run with MJRunner:

http://mjrun.blogspot.com/2011/05/ld-with-one-kidney.html

I lost my kidney at the age of 8 weeks and 40+ years later have had no problems.  In fact, I'm training for my first marathon.  If you are interested in my story it can be found below.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

HI,MY NAME IS VIVIENNE AND I AM ONLY 11 I FOUND OUT I ONLY HAD ONE KIDNEY WHEN I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TO CHECK MY PELVIC I DID AN ULTRA SOUND AND THE NURSE KEPT GOING LEFT TO RIGHT AND SHE SAID DO YOU KNOW SHE ONLY HAS ONE KIDNEY AND MY MOM WAS SUPRISED I WAS SCARED I STARTED CRYING...:'(