Not sure how to explain this one.

For past 2 days now I've been having this pain in the lower left side of my abdomen and from what I gather around the kidney area. That's how it started off and gradually it got to the point that the pain was in 2 components: 1 sharp pain near the kidney and overall general discomfort in the abdomen (like doing way too many sit-ups or pulling a muscle).

It only acts up when I'm hungry (I did not see the correlation yesterday), but the pain comes on so strong that I can't even tell if I am hungry. It isn't until my stomach rumbles (and gas I assume escapes somewhere, no, not burping or farting) that the pain instantaneously goes away. The pain is so great that it makes me lose concentration.

So I have been eating (small amounts) whenever I get these pains and drinking plenty of water throughout the day and it seems to work. But within 1-2 hours after eating the pain comes back bringing w/ new hunger pangs.

My question is, if this is to do with hunger, why start this new pain so late on in life? How come I have never had this pain when I've been hungry (thousands) of times before?

I fear my body is trying to tell me something and as such I will be going to a doctor this weekend, I have searched on google and on these forums for the answers I seek but most of them are pointing to Diverticulitis but my family has no history of this.

I must admit that I have never drank as much water as I should and this is a wakeup call, do you guys think this is/was an early indication of dehydration?

I just don't understand why these "kidney" pains are associated w/ hunger.

Any tips/suggestions/answers will be greatly appreciated!

It may not be back pain or kidney pain at all, though left sided kidney stones will clearly give you symptoms in that area, but rather hunger pain. Believe it or not, this is quite common and can usually be felt on the left side of the lower abdomen. That pain should be dull and achy, and should go away after you eat. If that's it, you usually have nothing to worry about. 

On a related note, both constipation and gas can also cause the same symptoms as well. Again though, they don't usually come on only while hungry, though there may be some correlation. 

I know this is old post, but I thought I'd add my experience to it. I experience kidney pain when I am very hungry also. It starts around my kidneys, then radiates around to the rest of my abdomen. My pain feels like a large hand is around my abdomen, squeezing. What helps my pain go away (besides eating something when it first starts coming on), is my heating pad. Most of the time this happens to me, it is during the night when I am trying to sleep, so I whip out my heating pad and it goes away very quickly. This doesn't happen to me very much as I make sure to eat regular meals. This never happened to me before I had my gallbladder surgery nearly two years ago. My friend's husband, who also had gallbladder surgery, says this happens to him also, so I wonder if this could be related to that?  I have not been able to find any info through google, and I have always wondered what this could be.

This happens to me too! Does anyone know why this happens? or how I can prevent it?

My wife also had her gall bladder out. It was not the gallbladder. She got better for about 2 weeks and then back down hill.

She was over a year later, then properly diagnosed with celiac disease after negative blood test and stomach biopsy. Capsule endoscopy (pill cam) finally gave her the anwer>

Good luck!!

I am having same problem, 3 months ago i came to know that one of my kidney completly diamaged , CT reveled that it is mCDK(Multicystic dysplastic kidney),i got pain because this left kidney got infected, i was given with IV antibiotics for 10 days , Pain got lessen when i am taking antibiotics, , after a month later left side pain completly gone and right one started paining and this pain is coming only when in feeling hungry or feeling tired or when i am feeling sleepy , this pain is disappearing when i woke up in the morning, and after eating food no problem while urinating and i am eating a lot as i feeling very hungry, i gained around 5 kg weight .also my stomach is making different kinds of noices , iam not sure whether its my kidney or my intestine but i felt that noice is from the right kidney area. My urine is foamy some times. and my BP is around 150/100. can some one help me in this MALE AGE 26

I have had the same problem in the mornings, the day after fasting on the 5/2 diet.The pain radiates from my left kidney area through to my abdomen.It disappears as soon as I eat.

P.S - I forgot to mention that I also had my gallbladder removed 12 years ago.