It seems that abdominal pain my mother has been experiencing for quite some time will end with operation. She should be undergoing emergency hysterectomy in next few days. She is 49 years old and she is a bit afraid of what might happen, even though she is not showing it. As for me, I am also worried but I am also thinking about the post op period. What must she expect?

Hysterectomy is an operation in which doctors remove uterus completely or just some parts. You did not mention if oophorectomy will be also performed. It is also an operation done at the same time with hysterectomy and it removes ovaries. Removal of ovaries induces decreased secretion of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. This can lead to so called surgical menopause with all the symptoms of a classical menopause. Also, risk of cardiovascular disease is increased.