Hello. I'm 34 year old female and about a month ago I started to feel some symptoms that I have never felt before.
You see, I was always had these painful periods but this time it was different. The pain was much stronger and lasted about 10 days.
Then I contacted my gynecologist which determined that I suffer from some condition called prolapsed uterine. Only possible solution was this operation called hysterectomy!
Now, 3 weeks after operation, I feel some strange symptoms and I would like to find out is it something I would be worried about. Beside almost constant depression feelings I suffer from really strong bleeding. Is this normal?

I had this operation about a year ago and I will tell you something about my own post-operative symptoms.
You see, this depression feelings are completely normal because I have developed it and several other women that I know also. I really don’t know what is causing this happen but it would be very useful to talk with someone about this or to join some support group.
I don’t know a lot about this post operative bleeding but I know that much to say that it isn’t a normal.
Other than some light bleeding or spotting for up to 6 weeks directly following the surgery, vaginal bleeding should not occur. So I suggest you to contact again your GP and let him determined what the right cause of your bleeding is. It could be from inflammation, infection, abnormal growths, and injury.

Hi kelsy
I'll be two-years post-op from a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy (TAH) in January. I kept both ovaries. You did not say what type of hysterectomy you had done. While some degree of vaginal bleeding can be normal during your initial post-operative period, heavy or prolonged bleeding is not normal. For instance, at seven months post-op, I noticed some spotting. I saw my family doctor, and on exam, he found three areas of granulation (improper healing) on the vaginal cuff (the area at the top of the vagina where the cervix used to be). He treated this with silver nitrate cautery, and I have not had any significant problems since.
The depression has been challenging to deal with. I had my hysterectomy at the age of 22, and am childless. I have tried antidepressants twice, with little success. I have also tried counselling and have joined an online woman-to-woman support site (***post edited by moderator*** ***web adresses not allowed***), with over 80,000 members worldwide.
I regret not asking my gynecologist to see my uterus before it was disposed of in medical waste, but one of the things that has helped me in my grieving process has been to understand what I have lost. I have spent a lot of time learning about the anatomy and physiology of the female reproductive system. Some incredible photos/diagrams can be obtained online and in medical textbooks (which are frequently available at public libraries or even if you ask your doctor). I was also able to borrow a 3-D model of the female reproductive system from Options for Sexual Health (formerly Planned Parenthood) and I brought it to my doctor's office, where he explained the functions of each part (the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries), and how they fit together.
I struggle with how a woman can have something as significant as her uterus removed, and then she can be sewn back up, and can continue as if nothing happened. I honestly feel like Humpty Dumpty. I do not want to discourage you, but this is how I feel at the two year post-op mark. I do want to reassure you, however, that what you are feeling emotionally is normal. I want to encouarge you to seek support from wherever you can draw it.
Best wishes.

Hello! I would also like to add that you women should really watch out for the depression if you had taken cervix out. It is the beginning of the uterus and it is said that cervix removal is to blame for depression.
My aunt had everything taken out during a hysterectomy and she wasn’t even supposed to have it. She had a cyst on her ovarian and her doc suggested taking it out just because he had one bad experience with the cyst bursting.
Unfortunately, my aunt trusted the doc because she has heard good stories about him and asked no second opinions. She had everything taken out in the period when menopause was about to strike. What it did strike was the severest type of depressions. It’s been over five year she had it done and she is still on medications.

I just wanted to warn you to seek help if you notice any signs of depression and to try to manage it with whatever possible treatment there are.