Hi I am 28 I have had a full Hysterectomy two years in Feb. I am gainning wait! I have gained 20 punds in less than two years, I am not takeing in hormones.. the only area that is really gainning wait is my stomach! I started to take the hormones about a year ago and i began to bleed so I stopped! My sex life is the same no change, I have grown hair like my wax I have to get more often than I use to but that is the only change and it is bothering me I use to be like a 6/8 now I can still wear 8 but to be comfortable I am getting a 10 one dress i had to get a 12... I know clothes are made differently so that is a matter but I never NEVER had to buy those sizes before a 8 was my fat clothes not that seems to be my size! Help any suggestions should i go back on the hormones?

Hi! I found that when a woman has undergone a complete hysterectomy, she'll likely be thrown into a hormonal imbalance called menopause. It's vitally important that a woman has estrogen, progesterone and testosterone hormones for her body to react as it should. When the levels fall, a woman's body goes through a kind of withdrawal, there are many side effects that stem from it. Remember not to take natural estrogen without natural progesterone since they do relate to one another. Hormone replacement therapy may be needed to deal with the hormone level drop off; however, it also comes with its own risks and side effects. You should work with your doctor closely to ensure the correct doses of hormone replacement therapy such as bio-identical hormones or synthetic drugs such as Prempro and Provera. There are also side effects to synthetic drugs. I hope this helps.

The average weight gain in the first year after hysterectomy is 25 lbs., so what you are experiencing is typical. Your metabolism slows down a little when only the uterus is removed, and it slows down a lot if your ovaries were removed. This means that your body's ability to metabolize food is impaired, so if you eat the way you did before the surgery you will gain weight now.

Depravation diets don't seem to work very well. I suggest eating what you really like, even if it's cake and hot fudge sundaes, but reduce the quantity, and you will lose weight. Put on a plate what you normally eat for a meal, then take a 1/4 of it off the plate and save it for the next meal. Do that with every meal, and you will not feel deprived and you will gradually lose weight. Eating a little less shrinks your stomach, which means you need less food and feel less hungry.

It's also important to exercise. An excellent form of exercise for women who have undergone hysterectomy is jump rope. Get a simple cotton jump rope (about $4 at Sears or K Mart, and start a routine where you jump rope the first thing in the morning, before you have anything to eat or drink. Jump with your feet together, not one after the other, to avoid stress on your knees and hips. The common back pain many hysterectomized women develop after the surgery is, counter to intuition, relieved by jumping rope every day.

You can also read what other women experience after hysterectomy, which helps to know if what you are experiencing is common or rare, ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed