My gynecologist recommended me for hysterectomy. Something worries me about this surgery. I have heard that sexual response is often not the same as it was prior to the hysterectomy. My friend told me she feels that orgasm is different then before hysterectomy. She told me that vagina can be shortened due to hysterectomy, and some women might report failure to lubricate which can cause discomfort. I would like to know if that is true, and is sex after hysterectomy different then it used to be.

It is true that sex might be different after hysterectomy. Some women say it is even better then is used to be. That is especially if pain of sexual activity prior to surgery is prevented. Sadly is that there are those who feel a reduction in orgasm intensity. For some women there will not be deep orgasm ever again. Some women that will perform hysterectomy are afraid they will lose their desire for sex. That is untrue and your sex life should remain as pleasurable, if not more pleasurable once you are free of the cause of your hysterectomy. Removal of your ovaries may cause a decrease in sexual desire that can improve with the use of estrogen. If vaginal dryness is a problem, your gynecologist may prescribe an estrogen cream for you. Recently, large study found that hysterectomy did not interfere with sexual function. However, removal of the uterus and ovaries causes large declines in sex hormones. Hormone replacement therapy, with or without testosterone replacement may help to restore sexual function in women.