I am 15 years old and I live in New York. I have done a lot of research about Confidentiality Laws in NY concerning minors and they always state that the doctor is not permitted to tell the parents if I have had sex or even if I have an abortion. I have friends who have had been tested and treated for STDs, even had abortions and all their doctors told them there not allowed to notify the parents with out their permission. I went to the obgyn today and he told me he had to tell my mom I had sex to the point where I was hysterical crying begging him not to tell. He told me he made an exception for me and had never done this before and wouldnt tell my mom. Isnt this wrong? Isnt he by law not permitted to tell my parents unless I give him the permission to?

I would try to contact HIPPA and file a report. GOOGLE HIPPA and the first site that comes up is hhs.gov and if you go there it gives you all of the details of the HIPPA Law and what steps you need to take. You were threatened and who knows if this doctor is talking about private matters with parents or even other people!

Please try to take some action. You may be young but you still have rights. IF need be you may have to have a trusted adult who will keep matters private to help back you up, but please do something.

Good luck!!!

In ANY state as far as i know they arent allowed to tell your parents that youve had sex, have an STD, or anything like that unless you give them permission to. When my girlfriend went they tested her for STD's and the gynecologist didnt even put it on the bill. She just charged it under the papsmear so her mom wouldnt know she was sexually active.