I’m 19 and I’ve been having big problems with acne ever since I started my puberty (had the first bad acne breakout at 11). And as far as the treatments for my acne, I wasn’t too lucky with either Accutane or birth control pills after that. Only antibiotics have temporarily managed to control them, but I can’t take them all the time.

My new dermatologist is suggesting I try Epiduo gel now, and that seems to be one of my last options as far as I can tell and I’m hoping someone could tell me how does Epiduo gel works exactly? I’m asking because I’m worried that if it’s anything like Accutane it might cause me terrible side effects again.

if the side effects you've had from Accutane were very dry, peeling skin or extreme sensitivity to sunlight, than there is a chance that Epiduo might cause similar problems for you. That's because Epiduo gel too contains a form of vitamin A similar to the one present in Accutane, and alongside it, Epiduo has benzoyl peroxide which has antibacterial effects that can cause skin reactions to people who are allergic to it.

Since you already had a bad experience with Accutane, it would probably be the best to discuss all the details with your dermatologist and see if it's worth the risk.

Sorry I have no any idea about Epiduo