I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with my boyfriend 2 weeks ago while I was on my period. Three days afterwards I got symptoms that seem a lot (per my research) like the sympoms of a urinary tract infection (burning while peeing, feeling like i have to pee every 5 minutes). The symptoms went away after about 3 hours,though, so I stopped worrying about it. A week later, the symptoms came back, but again for only a few hours. I am confused because the symptoms keep coming for only a few hours and then going away. I also started birth control pills about 2 weeks ago. What could this be?

a bladder infection. You better see your gyn for a check up to get rid of this. Around of antibiotics should clear it. Don't let it spread to the upper urinary organs.

You are probably infected with some nasty bacteria or even maybe a virus which are causing either UTI or bladder infection.

If you are on a birth control pills than you should know that taking these on your own without consulting your doctor about it isn't the smartest thing you can do. Sometimes actions like this can lead to hormonal imbalance and this can cause you some severe consequences.

If you are suffering from uti or bladder infection you will need antibiotics and of course, again, a medical appointment with your gynecologist. He will prescribe you a round of the antibiotics and you need to drink them till the last day or you can cause some severe complications such as kidney infection.