Hi! Few weeks ago I had a urinary infection. I was taking antibiotics and now everything is ok. But I’m not sure about one thing. Will the cranberry juice or pills only work for UTI prevention but not infection? I think that cranberry is good only for prevention but my friend thinks that you can treat infections with it. Who is right?

You are right. Cranberry juice or tablets are good only for prevention. My doctor told me that they would not help much when you already have a UTI, but they can work as a preventative for future infections. UTI should be treated with conventional antibiotics and cranberry should not be used as a substitute for them.

The cranberry has properties that prevents the binding of the bacteria to the bladder wall which can cause the infection. So if you already have a UTI, the cranberry does little help to treat it. Your immune system will clear it out or antibiotics.