I've got very dry skin and have resorted to putting Vaseline on it to keep going through the day quite often. It makes my skin feel nice and hydrated and gets rid of the appearance of flakes. I have considered using Vaseline (or petroleum jelly, whatever you prefer) as a moisturizer as a matter of course. Is there any reason not to do so? I've never heard of people doing this so that holds me back. It seems like a good idea from where I'm at though. Vaseline is the only thing that seems to be fatty enough for my skin. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Vaseline creates a barrier between your skin and the outside world. It can temporarily make your skin feel nice and moisturized, but it in fact draws moisture out in the end (which is why it is often used on fresh tattoos). It isn't absorbed in any way and does nothing but perhaps clog your pores in the end. Also, the manufacture of Vaseline is everything but environmentally friendly. Stick to a very nice and nourishing moisturizer for dry skin, and if your problems persist, consider seeing a dermatologist.

Oh, no, you don't wanna use Vaseline instead of a moisturiser, hon, it's just gonna dry you out terribly while giving you the illusion of hydration. It's a wolf in sheep's clothes, LOL! By the way, tattoo artists are not suggesting Vaseline as an aftercare ointment so often at all any more, 'cause well, it actually causes some of the colour to come out. You're better off with Panthenol, which, by the way, my kid niece (who has some skin issues) is using as a moisturiser. So if you want a simple medical type product, that's what I'd be looking into and not Vaseline. 

Petroleum jelly does not clog the pores. That is a myth. Though not many people would recommend that you use petroleum jelly as your sole moisturizer, a great many dermatologists do advise their patients who suffer from conditions that lead to extremely dry skin to use petroleum jelly on those areas. Petroleum jelly is an emollient, it does keep moisture that is already in the skin inside rather than allowing it to leave, and does soften the skin and protects you from harsh weather. I am for, in people who have tried and find that it does not cause them any problems. 

I'm all in favor of using what works for you, no matter what other people say about it. Vaseline as a moisturizer has pros and cons. I tried it (have dry skin) and it works for the extremely dry cheek area but not well for the rest of my face, so I only use it on my cheeks after moisturizer. I have figured out that this is what works for me. If just Vaseline works for you, of course go for it. If it doesn't though, please keep an open mind about other options. Coconut oil is another very good option for many people with dry skin for example.

I wanted to love petroleum jelly as a moisturizer. I really did. It didn't give my skin what it needs. Like others said, despite initial appearances to the contrary, it made my skin even drier in the end.

That is when I started looking into other options that were equally rich. I am now using a bees-wax based moisturizer from my health food store that also contains lavendar. It is just as rich as petroleum jelly but more environmentally friendly and it works very, very nicely on my skin. Is something similar available where you live? If it is, that is what I think you should be looking for. It doesn't clog the pores, the oil sinks in well, and it really softens my skin.

So far I have had three dermatologist recommend it highly