I feel like my husband is verbally abusing me, he calls my names and makes me feel like c**p. We have been married for over a year and he is getting worse and worse with the name calling. He doesn't feel bad for anything he says and he says things to make me cry. Hours later he will come to me and say "Now are you sorry, do you want to apologize to me?" and I have no clue what he is talking about, I never curse at him or call him names, he is the one that starts all the name calling. I coach and I took my kids to high school state this weekend and as I was walking out the door he made a comment about I might as well cheat on you, I could not believe that came out of his mouth. He talks to me like I'm a little child, we are not equal to each other. At times it is embarrassing the way he talks to me in public and when I tell him that he is embarrassing me he will do it 10 times worse to upset me. The comments are getting worse and worse. I feel sad, lonely, depressed, and he could not give two craps about it. Is their anything I can do to make this situation better?
-smith

I can't really understand your experience, but I do have something that comes in the very lower part of the same category. I would consider my mother to be emotionally abusive, but it's a tough one to pick. One thing I have found that keeps her from running her mouth off is to be overly pleasant towards her. I act as if I am extremely happy just to be in her company, even though that's not necessarily the case. Giving her what she wants means she won't be trying to make herself feel better. Of course, this means that I resent her horribly. It's more of what you're willing to go through.
I think the organizations that deal with abuse cover verbal abuse as well. It'd be weird of them to discriminate.