I have been in an abusive and controlling relationship for 22 years, I've asked myself why, and I've mentioned this before,  but I can't figure out the answer. Maybe over the years his abuse had taken it's toll and how inferior he makes me feel has just settled in. It started abusive mentally, than physically. The physical has left for years until one episode recently but the mental abuse is every day. We own a house together, apartments and I've started a new business which he has taken control over. He tells me to walk all the time and that he will "squash me like a bug". I have no monies of my own to fight him and any assets we have he will not let me touch. It's a tough price to pay at 52 and 22 years of service. At this point I'm afraid of him, not that he will squash me but that he will hurt me. He's been talking about death lately and I don't know where he is going with that. I could use some support, words of comfort, or advice.

I grew up in an abusive home that was mostly mental and sometimes physical. Every day we lived in fear of causing another anger episode. It's a miserable way to live and can permanently scar you for life. Staying in that situation is very difficult and unnecessary. It may be hard and take time, could even leave you broke, but you need to remove yourself from this situation. Speak out to a family member, close friend, or a churh leader. Yes it can be embarrassing to let others know what's going on, especially if you've been hiding it, because you don't want to be judged or even him to be judged because you love him even though he's doing wrong. Stay strong & do yourself a favor by changing your life for the better. You may have to sacrifice some things, but they're just things. Pray for help, peace, & guidance. Praying for you.