Most of my training falls well under the 2 hr. time frame, but both my Saturday (run/bike/run) and Sunday (long run) go for about 2 hrs. each. It seems to be more of a breaking point with boredom than it does with physical fatigue. Any pointers on how to go longer and keep it interesting?

I found the long runs went quicker when I ran with someone.

MUSIC.

But you don't know boredom until you've sat atop a trainer for 4 hours. 8O

I try to break the run into virtual sections. I might focus on 30 minutes at a time, or specific milestones along the route. I don't even think about the next section until I have finished the previous. This doesn't help a whole lot, but it helps make it tolerable. Running a scenic route helps a lot also. In one place on a treadmill or exercise bike become intolerable for me after just 10 minutes. I can run 2 hours on nice trails with less boredom than a few minutes on a treadmill.

Run a long scenic route and change it every few weeks to keep it fun and interesting..don't do mutiple loops of the same course or even running the entire thing on the treadmill (heck..how can you actually survive 2 hours or more on the mill? that's just insane!) just one big continuous loop (I also do out-and-backs). Some music may help though I have yet to try it. That's why long runs are my favorite type of workout..

I concur about having a partner. I have though done numerous runs alone over two hours. I just focus on the scenery. Then again I did this once:

convert decimals to fractions in my head. start with 1/2 and then 1/4 then 1/8...etc, I got down to 1/1024. I also do the states and capitals etc.

I used to love to do my long runs on a 5 mile trail....like Craig....I only thought about that 5 miles and when I came to the last mile it always felt like I was almost done....plus I'd go right past my car which contained gel, water, gatorade, new shirt, mittens....so I never felt vulnerable. The only trail I live by now is long and continuous. To me = boring. Plus.....I play the numbers game like Joe. With loops you get to do double math.......I'm 1/5 of my first loop....I'm doing 4 loops...so I'm 1/5 AND 1/20th of the way done. (however, I've NEVER gotten to 1/1024!!!! Joe is nuts or savant (rainman)).

sue

How funny-- :1: to all of that!! Most of my long rides and long runs are with other people. But even when you are to that point where conversation isn't fun I start calculating how far I have left, what my pace is, how long it will take me at my pace to go what I have left, etc. etc etc. I also make up cadences in my brain. You know, marine-style "My grandma was 92...."

I have the same dilema and I don't know anyone who will go out and run 2 hours with me. :( Music has helped out a lot.

I have a few different ways myself

1. with people
2. divide it into sections, have each section have a specific funtction ( focus on breathing, foot strikes, interval, tempo, ANYTHING but what you did the previous section.
3. make a different route. go off the norm. and do a different thing, if you have a pedometer or GPS let it tell you the miles instead of using familair routes.
4. multisport, talk about crosstraining at it's finest, run, bike, hike a mountian all without stopping. you wont be bored.
5. crosstrain. getting the boredom factor?? just do something different.