This post is an extension of the

6 month after endometrial ablation thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Quote:

find most of the people on this site are major whiners. The ablation should reduce blood flow not reduce cramps. If your main complaint was heavy periods and this procedure cured that... The people that write about gaining 20-30 or more pounds of weight gain need to push away from the plate. This procedure has nothing to do with excessive weight gain. I have found most people that gain weight want to blame it on everything else but themselves. Face it, the older you get the less you do whether you want to admit it or not. It is calories in and calories out. If you have a job where you sit on your duff all day then you are not burning too many calories. Sluggish metabolism? OK... work harder.No one said life was pain free or struggle free. Get Real.

First of all SHAME on you judging real people with real pain issues. I had my ablation done Sept 08. My doctor did not tell me I was going to stioll have raging PMS or weight gain. He said at my age 42 this was better then a full Hysto. Once he was in surgery he was shocked at the amount of Endo scarring I had ... It was so bad it had fused my tube to my bladder. No under I was in such pain for so many years. My weight before Ablation 142 my weight 6 months after 179. Tell me its my age or my butt sitting at a desk .... I can tell you its not. I have cut out all foods I used to be able to eat and not add weight ... I do not eat over 900 calories a day and yet my lovely tummy POUCH grows and grows .... As far as the pain ... it HAS gotten much worse ... it has almost made me drop my grandson. it has brought me to my knees. And leets not leave out the CONSTANT NUASEA. Bouts so bad that goosebumps breakout and I become pale as a ghost . So for the person I qouted .. I am happy it worked for you .... But I can add my horror story here to the other women. I for one and glad I stumbled on this forum. I am printing out so of the reponses to take to my OBGYN today and dare him to say its all in my mind.... Let you guys know what is to be done

I am so glad that I found this site. I am 44 years old and a four year brest cancer survivor. I stopped getting regular periods shortly after I started Chemotherapy. After about one and a half years, they returned and were very heavy. This was uncharacteristic of the periods that I had experienced prior to my illness. Also, I take Tamoxifen as part of my long term cancer treatment. My doctor (oncologist) stated that this was typical given everything that I had gone through and that after the 5 year Tamoxifen, therapy I would become regular again or go through menopause. After a D&C, my periods were occurring about every 6 months. Very heavy with lots of clots, but only twice a year..not so bad. This had been the pattern for about 2 1/2 years up until 3 months ago (April 2009). I began having heavy frequent periods (twice a month) that have knocked me out. After the third cycle, my hemoglobin count was extremely low and I am on iron therapy. My gynecologist has suggested the ablation. I am not crazy about the idea of a hysterectomy, so thought that this would be a logical next step. I hate any surgery so I started looking on-line to find out more information about this procedure. Of all the stories I have read, only 3 women of 50 said that this was successful. The side effects seem just as bad as the bleeding. And it seems as though everyone is heading to a hysterectomy anyway. I am scheduled for the procedure in two weeks, and I am going to consider something else. I am interested in further discussion, contact Pat at the email listed above.

Wow ladies! I am so glad for this site. I read the Novasure website and thought I found a cure for my problematic periods, or floods as I call them. After reading all your posts, I'm cancelling my appt! I'm scheduled for the procedure in 2 weeks, and my Ob-gyn still hasn't bothered to explain anything about the procedure except to say that it has a ten percent failure rate and that if it doesn't work, I will have to get a hsyterectomy.

I did notice one thing that may just be me, but...

I was taking a lot of Motrin for wrist and knee pain. Then after I complained to my PCP about heavy periods, she said take 800mg 2-3 xs a day for the week before and the week of my period. That's when I noticed even worse flooding and clotting. I had a lipo consult and that Dr. told me NO Motrin or any similar products. I have been Motrin free for 6 wks and noticed a reduced difference in my flow. That CAN'T be it. That seems just way too simple! But I haven't done anything else differently.

Anyway, I told my husband that he might have to get used to seeing me in Depends 2-5 days a month, because I'm not having Novasure done. I've had period related cramps 2 or 3 times in my life, and I'm not about to screw that up!

A big, warm, heart-felt thank you to all of you that posted your experiences. I believe you ladies over a website advertising a money-making medical procedure anyday!

I agree, shame on you for labeling us as whiners. Perhaps we are just not as "macho" as you are.

ANYWAY, I am so happy at having found this discussion. I had the boiling water ablation over two years ago and while I no longer have a period, yay! I do still have cramping on occasion and have also gained weight. Prior to the ablation I changed my eating habits and embraced a much healthier lifestyle. I was thrilled to have lost 40 pounds and was looking and feeling great! Then I had the ablation and the weight started coming back on, fast. It is so very frustrating. I am 50 years old now and have been going through menopausal symptoms since immediately after the ablation. My ob/gyn told me this would probably happen, especially considering my age. (You ever notice how hot flashes never seem to hit in the wintertime when you're cold and would welcome one?? 8-| )

While I am relieved to read the probable cause of the rapid weight gain, I am disappointed that a solution is not easily forthcoming. My heart and prayers go out to each and every one of you, (even the whiner whining about the whiners thereby becoming a whiner) and if anyone finds an answer let us know, please! :-)

Thank you all for posting regarding the problems! I've been to the ER twice with the WORST cramps and sharp pains (even worse than my labor was) and have chatted with my OB/GYN about what on earth could be wrong with me. After ultra sounds and Cat scans- nothing, and no hint from my doc who did my ablation it could be from that! I no longer have the endless bleeding, or any weight gain, but the pain in my pelvic area and down into my leg is sometimes unbearable. And here's the kicker-I never had cramps before with my cycle!! Had the ablation done about a year and a half ago at age 41, and I too have had a tubal when my last son was born. There was no mention about these possible side effects by my doctor, and now I am even more upset due to the fact he acts like he doesn't know what is wrong with me!??? I had to diagnosis myself! And to those who think we are being babies- I have an extremley high tolerence for pain, I've been thru a lot, this is truly excruciating!

Hi, I was scheduled for ablation surgery today! And was having some last minute apprehensions, and decided to google it one last time and look for bad stuff about ablation, because all I could find was good reviews on how awesome it has been for women who have had the procedure...well, I'm so glad I found this forum as I have canceled my appt. and am going to do further research and hang on for a while and endure my heavy periods, I am 41 and my periods have been heavier and more painful in the last two years and I bleed heavy clots for about 4-5 days of the month and feel weak and I was hoping this would be my answer to all my period pains.. The post that especially made me cancel my appt. was the women who has a phd and had a friend with a phd in this area of study. Thank you for explaining why novasure is not legally obligated to talk about the side effect of gaining weight. It makes sense due to the fact that weight gain is not life threatening, but it also seems extremely unethical to hide this from women who are considering the ablation. While reading the many posts here, it became increasingly clear that the bloated abdomen and weight gain that most of the women here have been experiencing cannot be coincidence and due to all these women being lazy. My midsection is already my trouble spot and for me to compound that with this surgery and still have the heavy cramps, just less bleeding makes me feel I can put up with this for a few more years or try hormone therapy or some other meathod to control my bleeding, will be upping my iron and trying progesterone and hopefully can manage this more naturally. Thanks very much to all of you who took the time to post the good and the bad with this procedure, because you have possibly saved me form the negative impacts of this surgery and has probably changed my life.

Hello there.

I stumbled on this site today after doing some research some issues.

I here is my story so far.

My name is Dawn and Im 36 yrs old.

As a kid my periods were always very very very heavy with bad cramps (not as bad as labor pains) and would last 7-10 days. So bad that I would beg to stay home during days 1-5 because to walk hurt and then after sitting in a classroom for an hour I would stand up and it would flow so fast I would have extreme leaks a few times a day. Also my periods would only come once every three months.

When I was 19 I found out I had a tilted uterus and was put on the pill (acutally a few different types) to help with my periods, but it made things worse and I bled for 210 days then I decided to stop because it was so interfering with my life. Between the ages of 22-30 my husband and I had 4 kids. My periods and the symptoms didn't changes after any of them.

My husband and I decided that we were done having kids so I asked my OB/GYN about what I can do about my my problematic periods since I didn't want to live the rest of my life like this. He said Novasure was my cure and I would be in and out with in 15 min. He gave me a prescription for an 800mg of ibuprofen pill and said for me to take it about 2 hours before my ablation appointment. I was surprised that the only pain controller id need was that! I figured it must of been a very painless procedure, boy was I wrong!!

The day of the in office procedure (Nov 28, 2006) I did what he said and took the ibuprofen pill 2 hours before my procedure. About 2 min into the procedure, when he started heating up the device inside I began experiencing extreme pain like Ive never had before. He asked me to hold on that I still had another 6 min to go. Then I blacked out for a few seconds numerous times and he said he was going to turn down the temp of it but it might not work as well. I held in for another 4 minuets, trying to keep myself from blacking out, then I finally screamed STOP STOP I CANT TAKE IT!!! and he stopped two min shy of the allotted time.

I went home was prayed for death. The pain was soo unbearable, my husband was about to take me to the ER but he called the dr first, the dr called in a prescription to our local pharmacy for some perciocet (sp?), more ibuprofen, and Tylenol with codeine. My husband took off of work for the next two days while the meds knocked me out cold in bed. I remember waking up in pain as the meds wore off, praying it was time to take more meds to knock me out again.

By the third day I was able to get up but was gushing watery discharge like Niagara falls and only relying on the 800mg of Ibuprofen to control the discomfort. After about three weeks the discharge stopped and I thought that was the end of my periods and pain.

Boy was I wrong!

Three weeks later I was doubled over with what I would put as full blown labor pains. (Just FYI I have given birth fully natural to one of my four kids, so I so know what it feels like.) All I could say is that at least in labor you get some "breaks" from the pain between contractions and a baby at the end. This was nonstop for 3 days and no baby for my effort. My only good side of this is that the bleeding lasts for three days and is lighter. And it depends on what side Im ovulating from on how bad the pain is too. I think one of my ovary's were effected some how by the procedure. But both are really painful.

Now this still goes on for me.

Since that day I have new symptoms. I no longer can hold my urine and each year its getting worse (after having my kids I never had this issue), along with a 25 lb weight gain (I was 115 before procedure now Im 140, Im only 5'2" btw. Im an avid hiker and was an 4 hours/5 days a week figure skater, I cant do the ice skating this past year because of the incontinence, but im still able to hike so I do that 4 times a week 4 miles each time, plus gym time. (however none that require running or jumping)

The past two years Im experiencing extreme hair loss, Melasma has started all over my face this past 4 months, and I am now feeling angry all the time, my mood is just horrible. I don't like that. Im usually the funny and easy going one.

So far my dr's suggestions are to get a hysterectomy and do a uterine sling. But they dont know what they are going to see once they get in there. My urethra could be damaged because of the procedure. (which I understand is not very common, but does happen) I was also told that my days of being active like I use to be are gone. I go the is week for a consultation on what exactly needs to be done.

This procedure has totally ruined my life. And yes I did research it, but it was still new and the net didnt have too much info to be found, maybe it was that there was but the search engines weren't like they are today... idk.

I just wish I had found the info on the net that there is now three years ago because I would of opted not to do it.

Anyways, that's my story. I just wanted to tell it so I others don't feel alone.

God bless you all.

Hi firewife, I'm glad you posted that! It was very thorough and I think a lot of people could benefit from it. I really enjoyed reading it. What compelled you to write it?

Thanks you. :0) Like I posted at the end, I don't want anyone to feel alone, and really wanted to share my experiences like others have too. I thought it was important to put in a short version of my "history" to show where I was from beginning to present time. 

Its a shame that so many of us are going through this. Although it seems like a lottery draw whether this procedure will work as intended without extreme side effects.

~God Bless

firewifeplus4 wrote:

bluedog wrote:

~God Bless

I think that's the hardest thing to go through when you're feeling down about medical treatment--it really can feel like you're the only one. Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm sure we'll benefit from many more of them. :)

Thank you for your entries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had an ablation in July 09 and thought my troubles were over. In Setember, I had a light period but horrific pain and abdominal swelling that lasted a couple of days. Once over I hoped it was a fluke.

Yesterday, I started a flow not as bad as my life long heavy flows (unable to leave the house kind) and the pain is so severe I have thought about going to the emergency room. The thought of a long wait and lack of understanding is keeping me in my bed until this episode passes.

I am not a hypochondriac and have been to the doctor only for the birth of my children and annually to get the birth control I needed to keep my periods from keeping me from living a life.

Thank you Dawn for validating my suffering.

I could find no good information describing the symptoms I m experiencing since the ablation.

The biggest concern now is how do I live with this. I would take the heavy periods and birth control back anyday!!!!!!!!!

So glad I found this discussion board :-) Thanks for all of your useful information Ladies.

My story is probably just a typical one, however, I am totally disappointed with the post ablation outcome. I am overall healthy, not overweight, very active, work full time and am 48 yrs old. I rarely have to see a doctor as I just don't have any other ailments. The most I have had in the past 10 yrs is a slight flu which I didn't even need to miss work for and had to have a root canal.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis AFTER the birth of my twin daughters, they are now 26 yrs old. I have suffered with long and heavy periods and lots of clotting for many many years. I was advised by my ob/gyn that a D&C would help, so I had that procedure done. It helped for about 1 year. All symptoms came back. He then said I needed to have a cryo procedure done, which I did. Good for about another year. Symptoms returned and I was having constant everyday pain in my left side which included days that I could barely put pressure on my left leg to walk, he said it was from the endometriosis and scarring. Another d&c was done and during that procedure he removed my left ovary stating that there was so much endometriosis and scar tissue on my left side that he could barely find my ovary. After that procedure he put me on Lupron shots for 12 months....I made it thru about 5 shots and could not tolerate the side effects...extreme hot flashes/night sweats that I could not sleep thru, and nausea, but I did enjoy not having a period! Periods resumed but were better for about 1 year, however, periods became increasingly more heavy and extremely painful. I decided to go to another ob/gyn..female...figuring she would better understand my problem. Well before I got in to her, I began feeling very tired, weak and fatigued constantly and literally felt like I was becoming depressed. I went to my regular doctor first to try to figure out what was wrong. I explained to her about my symptoms and she ordered blood tests as a start. She suggested I get the blood tests done over at the local hospital as soon as I left her office, which I did. That was at 4:30 p.m. She called me at home at 6:15 p.m. that evening and stated I needed to go to the emergency room as my hemaglobin level was only 7 and I needed blood transfusions asap. So...... I went, and spent 3 days in the hospital getting the transfusions. 3 weeks later my hemaglobin was up to 9 and she referred me to an ob/gyn as she stated this was caused by the heavy/clotting/long periods that I was having. Two weeks later I went to the ob/gyn, she did a vaginal ultrasound right in her office and said I needed to have an endometrial ablation immediately. Sure enough, I was in a state of panic thinking that I was bleeding to death and this was my only option since I did not want a hysterectomy, so 2 days later I had the ablation.......BIGGEST mistake of my life! First, I take full responsibility for not investigating this procedure beforehand, but as stated I was very scared with what I had just been thru and quite honestly, I trusted these doctors. The ob/gyn had advised that this ablation was the cure all and she had it done herself and it was very successful. I read the Novasure pamphlet that she handed me on my way out and it seemed like a very common procedure. Never did she discuss what to expect afterwards, other than how wonderful I was going to feel and that I shouldn't have anymore periods after. She told me she was going to do the procedure under general ansthesia at the outpatient surgery facility at the hospital, but I could go home about 4 hours later. I had the procedure done....uneventful....went home 4 hrs later, had some cramping for 2-3 days, some slight discharge and back to work on Monday.

The procedure was done in May 09. I had the watery discharge for 8 weeks, it was awful. Now I have light periods that seem to come and go whenever they please. No cycle or consistant duration of when it will start or stop. Sometimes light flow for 2 days, stop for 8-10 days, start again for 1 day, stop for 5 weeks, start again just spotting for 10 or more days, cramps are rampant and extremely painful. As I am typing this right now, I am laying in bed on my laptop with a heating pad on and 2 advils in me which are doing nothing for the pain! I am barely bleeding at all right now, just a spot here or there but am very bloated. I have gained just over 10 lbs since the procedure (mainly in my stomach/waist area), no change, other than dieting for the first time in my life, following a diet that my regular doctor suggested I try which is no carbs/no salt/high protien. I can't afford to buy new clothes to fit this ever bloated waist/stomach area and my pants are becoming uncomfortable. I went back to the ob/gyn for a check up and she said "Everything looks great...big smile!" I wanted to tell her....To YOU maybe....you must have received the payment from my insurance company! I told her about the erratic cycles, extremely painful cramps, weight gain and constant bloating. Only then, did she tell me that sometimes the ablation doesn't work and suggested I might want to consider a hystrectomy! She stated she could not do a vaginal hysterectomy due to the amount of scar tissue I have from the endometriosis and I would have to be off work for 4-5 weeks. This is why I didn't want a hysterectomy to begin with. I figured I am only a few years away from natural menopause so I figured I would try to wait it out at this point as I feel I have put my body through enough medical procedures and maybe I need to let it do some natural healing. I just want an answer as to whether this is what I will live with until natural menopause hits, because I can't take much more of this pain etc, I feel miserable. I refuse to go to another doctor as I am beginning to feel like a guinea pig or test subject of some sort.

Sorry this is so long, I commend you if you read the entire thing, and thank you for listening to my experience. Again, I am so glad I found this discussion board as it has somewhat eased my mind to know that others are experiencing some of the same things that I am.

Your comments or suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks again!
Motor City Mom

So thankful to have found this thread. I had Her Option ablation done this week- 4 days ago to be exact. Everything I've read says that I should be having some sort of discharge- I have had NOTHING. I am very concerned about this... I'm also incredibly bloated and still in massive pain... Anyone know if this is a big problem? Does discharge start right away?

I appreciate any help.

Man! I am glad I found this site, just wish it had been before the procedure...I had the novosure ablation last summer (July 09). I have not had a period since, which is great. I also did not have any cramps...until about a month and a half ago. I had the procedure done to eliminate the cramps mostly, apparently I missed the part in the literature that says anything about it not solving the cramp problem as the person who so heartlessly called everyone "whiners" stated was there. I am 43 years old, and have a healthy diet: no red meat, lots of organics, etc. I, too have gained at least 10 pounds...thought it was just overeating, even though I hadn't been eating more than normal. before ablation 125 lbs, now at 135 (after being sick for 2 weeks recently and losing 5 lbs) about 8 months after. It's not the weight gain that really concerns me (although that also sucks) it's the debilitating CRAMPS. I did not have bad menstrual cramps until last year, when I believe I started peri-menopause. I had cramps so bad that I was missing work, doubled over in pain, etc. That and extremely heavy bleeding (super tampon overflow in ONE hour!) that lead me to the ablation. I am very grateful not to have the heavy bleeding, but now the cramps are back, and as bad as they were before the procedure. I'm going to be seeing my doc soon (tomorrow if possible!), to make sure I don't have fluid collecting in my tubes, as some others reported, because I also had a tubal ligation about 8 years ago. My doc and none of the lit said anything about complications in patients who had previously had a tubal. I have tried hydrocodone, does nothing for me. I've been popping acetaminophen like crazy, they do seem to help some, but wary of overdoing it, because it's been linked to liver problems or something. If anyone gets relief I wish they'd post what helped. I will do the same.