Hello Ladies! I had a NovaSure Ablation around the end of November 2006 and it is now April 2007 and I am happy to say that I am *knock on wood* period free! I chose this option instead of a hysterectory because I had a tubal ligation approx 10 yrs ago. I am enjoying having my life back to "normal" however I am experiencing weight gain! It seems that my weight has shot up almost 10lbs w/in the last 5-6 mths! I recently went to the Dr (general practice) and took a thyroid test. I am still waiting on the results however I think I may make an appt w/ my GYN to talk a little more about this. I have just recently started taking over the counter water pills to see if this may help. It seemed to have helped when I was on the Depo Provera. It seems the body retains water when you are not having periods....I've been told. Hopefully I am not the only one out here that is experiencing this. I will be more than happy to share my results. Is there someone else out there experiencing the same problems? Help?! Stay strong and encouraged everyone!

I had the ablation twice, one in April 2005 and and other in March 2006, because the lining regrew. I have gained about 30+ lbs as of today. The Lupron shot, I believe, caused the weight gain.

Yes!!! Oh my gosh! It is good to know that I am not hallucinating or eating in my sleep. I have been wondering where the weight came from. I have never been this overweight. I work out and watch what I eat, but my stomach is bulging and my thighs are HUGE!!! I had both tubes removed years back. I have experienced cramping lately also. But, the weight gain is very weird for me. I have gained about 10 lbs. since the Novasure procedure which was done in March 2007, soooo about 5 months ago. Have had no cycle since, but not sure if I would take back having a cycle as opposed to the weight gain. If anyone knows why, please let me in on it! Thanks

wow! me to i have gained 45 lbs. since the procedure and am miserable! on top of everything i have lost my sexual appetite. i am 5'3 and weigh 265 lbs.
I ve never in my life weighed this much my normal weight is about 137 and now i dont even want to be seen in public.

Hi, I just had my Endometrial Ablation on 8/8/08 (so just 1 week today)... OMG I cannot believe what I am hearing about everyone gaining weight? I don't understand... why would you gain weight after this type of procedure?

I know lots of women of have had hysterectomy's and haven't gained any weight... my mother-in-law is one of them and several others... and of course they do not bleed.

If anyone has any knowledge on this, please let me know.

I just started losing weight about 3 to 4 weeks ago... and I'm doing very good... I'm praying really hard that I do not gain any weight from this surgery or the Depo-Provera shot that I was given just 4 days before my surgery. My OB assures me that I will not gain weight from the shot, unless I continued to take it... which I will not!

So sorry you are all going through this... hopefully someone can explain why. %-)

I too had the Endometrial ablation a yr ago and have gained so much weight!! I dont get it, that was not mentioned about this procedure! I've never had to deal with weight problems until now! help

I am a 48 year old who had the procedure done in June 2008. I was off work for one day with no complications. My periods have been regular and very mild ever since. My weight gain has been 8 pounds so far but I am eating no more than than I did before. I am experiencing a lot of water retention and bloating even though I try and refrain from sodium, caffeine, processed foods and sugar. I don't know whether to blame the procedure itself or my age (peri-menopause).
A good friend (aged 47) recommended the Novasure ablation to me as she had great success (done in 2006) with just light spotting each month. In two years she has lost more than 50 pounds but has been walking 5 kms per day. It's hard to determine whether the weight gain is age related or procedure related. Personally, I think it's age and we all have to step it up a notch to keep the weight off. It is impossible to lose a pound without a lot of exercising.
On another note, my OBGYN was not overly enthusiastic about the statistical results of the ablation to date. She hinted that I will most likely be back within the year if the heavy bleeding returns. I opted for the ablation because I wanted to avoid the hysterectomy. To date, I am happy that I did.

:-( I had the procedure done in Nov 2006 and now have gained close to 8 lbs.. not really sure the reasons why I walk and excercise on reg basis for the most part i eat well hardly any sugar and don't like chocolate I started at 137 and now am almost 145!! I am 37 yrs old and I have ALWAYS worried about my weight any suggestions??

Sorry I meant to say Nov 2008 not 2006 ......... I am going to continue to walk and do Pilates 3x a week hopefully this helps b/c if not I WILL go crazy

:cry:

I had my done on Feb 3 ,2008 and have now gained 10lbs all in my stomach. I work full time have three children under 8 four dogs who I walk everyday I lift waits four days a week work out forty minutes everday., clean my house mow the lawn have been a vegitarian for 30 years and my doctor says it's in my head that this would not cause this. I weigh what i did when he delivered my kids the weird thing is everywhere else I'm skinny except my lower stomach. I have tried water pills I do not eat fast food and had never had a fat belly before. I can not button my pants but a size bigger is to big everywhere else. My doctor actually asked if I want Prozac. I'm not depressed and I'm only 38yr had a thyriod test and they did an ultra sound ( On my upper stomach where you can see my ribs) I think they should preform this on men and see how they like it. I would not get this and would take back the couple days of extreme bleeding people actually thought I was pregnant again. I have been active all my life and this is awful!!!!!!

I had this procedure (novasure) in June 2007(1 year ago). I had been of normal weight up to that point, 43 years old. After the procedure I gained 45 pounds in one year. No change in eating habits, exercise or health. The doctor says this happens to some women, but unfortunately did not tell me that before the procedure. Thyroid and other tests all came back normal. If I knew this before I had it done, I would never have done it. I am miserable. I keep up with 2 kids, work, and am in school finishing my degree. It helps to know that I am not the only one, but I would like to know what connection this procedure has with unexplained weight gain.

has anyone found out why this is happening? I scheduled a new appt with my obgyn I had the procedure done and cant loose the weight. I have never been this heavy and bloated and I still have a light period. The weight gain happened almost immediately and I have always been careful of what I eat have not changed my eating habits from before never had a bloated stomach my stomach was always flat and I stayedi in shape and excercised. I am still exercising and I cant loose it and am just so unhappy about my weight gain.

OMG....this is scaring me. I'm scheduled to have a tubal along with the ablation the next month. I do not want to gain any weight that is why i refuse birth control. Everyone tells me i won't gain any weight from this procedure, but i heard it's very painful. What would cause the weight gain....not having a period?......water retention? It kind of confuses me. It's been said that taking birth control causes weight gain because of the hormones, but this has no hormones. Could it be the type of ablation you get? Did anyone have a tubal at the same time or prior to this procedure?

:-( It's been two years since the tubal. I had the ablation 6 months ago. I gained over 20 lbs. in the last 6 months!! If only I had known about this before! I really think I would choose the heavy bleeding over this!!! Yuck! I'm going to give the water pills a try. I started walking on the treadmill again. I am hoping this helps. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. Thanks!

I don't understand why the ablation would make you gain weight. I'm so confused.