I had been diagnosed with prostate cancer in may ,2009. The only real option for me was to have a radical prostatectomy because of age (58 years old and retired) :-( . I had this done in july, 2009 and since then there has been no evidence of cancer return. All PSA's have been less than 0.1. I have noticed over this time period a gradual weight gain of 7 lbs. I've always watch my diet and walk 5.5 miles a day. I'm 6'0" and now weigh 189 lbs. I do have rheumatoid arthritis which has been under control (sed rate=10) for a number of years using 0.5 mg prednisone and 1 or 2 vicodin es to control pain and flareup. Why is this happening with the weight gain? Is there any evidence or articles out there to support weight gain after radical prostatectomy ? Is this related to testosterone levels? .. thank you..kozlo

I am the same age with the same profile vis-a-vis exercise and watching diet for health. I too have experiened material weight gain. I went into surgery lean and came out with a gut. I was told this was a result of surgery proceedure (gas pumped in, etc) and would resolve in a week or so. I still have the gut 7 weeks out of surgery.

Has anyone else experienced unexplained weight gain weeks after a radical prostectamy? Does this surgery in and of itself deplete
    testosterone levels?

Thanks - 1crazyhorse888

The comments sound all too familiar. I had a radical prostectamy in 2009. At the time, I weighed 230lbs, I now weigh 260lbs. I eat half of what I did before and what I do eat is low fat and not many carbs. I walk two to three miles a day and have a big yard and garden to care for so I do not sit around, yet the weight gain. My doctor doesn't seem to care and my cardiologist says to loose weight. Short of a starvation diet, it isn't going to happen without some help. Doc says can't give me testosterone because it will bring back the cancer? help

mohusker, thank you for the post at steadyHealth.com on your experience with weight gain after your radical prostectamy.

I have a similar experience. In Oct. 2010 I underwent surgery to have over 140 grams of prostate removed because of a urinary tract blockage that occurred first in 2007 and then a second time in 2010. I did not need a blood transfusion and there was no cancer. I have had an enlarged prostrate for almost 50 years as did my father and uncles who had TURP procedures done with a lot of bleeding afterwards. I exercise everyday, walk at least 10 miles a week, and maintain my lawn and also my neighbors lawn. I will be 71 in June 2013.

In Oct. 2012, i.e. two years after the surgery in Oct. 2010, I began to experience much bloating and since that time until today (April 15, 2013) I have put on about 10 pounds. My weight most of my life has fluctuated between 165-170 pounds.I now weigh 180.

mohusker, your time frame for weight gain seems to be the same as mine. Your surgery was in 2009 and you have gained 30 pounds since that time. It appears that your post was in Oct. 2012, three years after your surgery in 2009. Did your weight gain of 30 pounds start after the surgery or did it start a couple of years later like mine? My weight gain started two years after the surgery and the first signs were bloating after I ate. I read online that no medical research has ever been done on weight gain after any types of surgery!

I've actually lost weight after having a radical prostatectomy just 3 weeks ago should I be concerned?

Tes can be used post prostatectomy albeit with caution. Talk to your urologist. I went back on tes and still gained about 20 lbs. Fight to keep it off.

16 months after prostatectomy, after which I had internal bleeding and left hospital 10lb lighter. Afterward I returned to pre-operative weight in about two months. I stayed at pre-operative weight for about 8 months, then suddenly began bloating and putting on weight. Am now about 15 lbs heavier than pre-op weight, with no change in diet or exercise. Does prostate or testosterone play a role in controlling male weight? Does absence or reduction of these hormones cause weight gain? How can I get this unwanted weight off? 56 yo now and getting frustrated by this.

I'm in tune with my body and I'm convinced there is something else going on that is related to the surgery. In August 2014 at age 54 I had a robotically assisted radical prostatectomy. Prior to the surgery I was 215lbs and generally considered very fit. I ran 3 times per week plus took spin classes 2 or more times per week. My diet isn't great, but I was always exercising enough so that my weight stayed steady. Now, 7 months later I have put on 10+ pounds and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I have a definite pot-belly where none existed before. I thought maybe it was due to weakening of the abdomen from the incisions and all, but I have worked on my core strength and I have more muscle there than ever. 

I had robotically assisted radical prostatectomy in April 2015, and have also gained several pounds plus a pot belly. Not happy with the weight gain as my cardiologist says i should loose weight.

Most often Dr.s want to remove or reduce the man's testosterone and male hormone levels to very low or zero and permanently after prostate cancer as the male hormones make the prostate cancer grow more. This reduction in testosterone is achieved either by taking medicines that block or destroy male hormones or the complete surgical removal of both of the man's testicles to castrate the man and prevent any more male hormone and testosterone production by his body permanently.

The loss of male hormones and testosterone does encourage weight gain, muscle mass loss, redistribution of body mass and fat on the man's body, slower metabolisms, loss of all sexual functions, sterility, and lowered or lost libido, bone density loss, less body hair and less beard growth, personality and mood altering effects, and a number of other changes in a man's mind and body. Sometimes male hormones can be allowed to naturally return to some level (by reduction or removal of male hormone blocking drugs) or artificially replaced with artificial male hormone and testosterone injections (if surgically castrated) after the cancer has been defeated.

Dr.s should be explaining these drastic changes and lifelong physical outcomes to all men before any cancer treatment is started. Some men have told me that they didn't even fully understand that they agreed to being and might be surgically castrated before they were operated on and permanently neutered. Unfortunately, many Dr.s think men in their 40s and older don't deserve to remain sexually virile and active, physically fit, and with optimal masculinity if they get prostate cancer later in life. And many Dr.s seem to uncaringly dismiss men's reduction in masculinity and virility as no big deal compared to surviving prostate cancer. Men should insist on a clear understanding of the choices and consequences of each treatment option. Dr.s and men should be aiming for survival and also retaining maximum sexual virility and physical masculinity, if at all possible, when facing prostate cancer treatment decisions.

I had radical prostectamy 4 wks ago and have also experienced weight radical prostectamy. I also go to the gym, excersing 4 to 5 times a week. I eat healthy meals and can not understand why I am gaining weight and so fast. I hope there is a sensible way to resolve this wight issue because it's making me very depressed.

I have almost the same timing and gaining as you. From 220 to 255. I've searched and can't find any answers or ways to lose.

Talk to your urology Dr. and see an endocrinologist to address the changes in your testosterone level and male hormones that normally help men regulate weight and muscle mass and sexual functions and interest.

I had a triple bypass in 2015 lost 45 lbs and felt great, then a radical prostectomy one year later gained back the 45 plus another 20 now at 290 am miserable, also have non-Hodgkins lymphoma that does not require treatment at this time help !!!!!

I had my radical prostatectomy in late Sept. 2016. I was 58 at the time. Now, almost five months later, I have 15 additional pounds added to just my belly. And it is hard, not flabby like my small "love handles". I have returned to my pre-op schedule and diet. No, I couldn't lift and exercise for a few weeks but this is very perplexing! Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem!

I feel like a good five minute fart would cure it! :)