Im 18 years old male, in good overall health and a long distance runner. for the past 2-3 months i have been getting episodes of shortnesss of breath, chest pain, heart skipping beats (happpens sometimes as often as 6 times per day), and heart flutters. Some days these symptoms are not present at all. I run a lot and feel very good after excercise and have no problem running 3 even 4 miles. I have been dizzy lately and have episodes of slight confusion. I get overly anxious about these symptoms and im very scared about the possibilty of something happening. Sometimes i feel really bad and feel like im gonna faint when this happens but never have. What could be the cause of this, and why do these problems not come up when im running, only when im relaxed. THANKS for all the help

Have you seen a doctor about your problems? You should get evaluated and tested because no one can tell according to the symptoms alone.

These problems could be due to respiratory, lung problems, heart problems, dizziness could be due to ear and all sorts of other problems.

Your doctor will only use your symptoms to suspect possible causes and order testing accordingly.

It is essential you have this checked because you are such an active sportsman!

I would venture a guess that in your situation you simply need to eat more potassium-rich foods: bananas, potatoes, beans, spinach, orange juice, soy products, lean meats, etc. People who exercise more need more potassium to keep their smooth muscle tissue healthy, and even a small deficiency can cause funny heartbeats. Since you're so young and clearly work out frequently, this is probably the issue. Just an opinion.

I experience same event as the first person only few days ago. My vitals were all normal but I was near fainting when I was brought to the ER. I also have frequent chest pain, skipping of heart, heart flutter, and shortness of breaths. I am going to get checked out soon but my ER resistance thought I have no problem.