You have a friend that has possibly had a little to much to drink. He/she insists that they are driving home and actually gets into the car and starts to leave before you can do anything about it.

What would you do? Something very similar happened to a friend of mine. I will post what he did later after there are some responses.

Follow them home, or try and catch up to them get them to pull off. Maybe you should collect keys when you get there.

Wonderful. The PO PO could be called but it would be hard to locate, unless you knew the route of travel and a description of the car.

That is extremely irresponsible of the owner/driver of the vehicle.

Wrestle them to the ground and take their keys away.

First of all, what I HOPE I would have done. I would have tried to take the keys away. If that didn't work, I'd try to block his car in. I'd offer to drive him back to get his car first thing in the morning. It is the same offer I leave on the table for all of my friends (if you go out and have to much to drink, give me a call and I'll come get you). If he ends up driving himself, I hope I would have the strength to call the police. I also hope that he would have the understanding as to why I had to do place the call. I'd rather lose a friendship then to have a life hurt or lost because of it. Edited to add the word "HOPE" in the first line.

Now for what my friend did:

Well, my sober friend (lets call him Sam) ended up helping his drunk friend (lets call him Doug) home by following him. Sam's reasoning, "If a cop is behind you when your sober, your nervous. Can you imagine how you would feel if your drunk?"

I asked Sam exactly how he was helping his friend. He just said that he was calming Doug's nerves. Sam even said that if Doug got pulled over, that he (Sam) would just leave! How is that helping?

My thoughts. If you are following, exactly how much help are you goug to be? Once Doug got going in his car, if you are following, how could you stop him? If Doug was to cross the center line? What if he was about to run a stop sign or stop light? What if he misses a turn? How could you help him?