I am often wondering what the benefits of meditation are. In meditation we are trying to quite the mind and we detach ourselves from our everyday thoughts and emotions. By sitting still we can feel a greater relaxation, but I can't say that I have any other benefit except this. So, what am I doing wrong?

Benefits of meditation come over time, you can expect instant results. It takes practice, like everything else. The more we practice meditation then the greater the benefits that will occur. I thought for first two years that my efforts are not productive. I need almost 2.5 years practicing concentration and meditation before I realized that I can peace my mind. But it is not just about spending a lot of time; the most important thing is to meditate with enthusiasm and intensity. So, if you can focus wholeheartedly on our meditation then we will make the fastest progress.

I agree. The long lasting effects of meditation cannot be achieved over night. YOu should practice it because practice makes perfect. After meditation, you feel happy, relaxed, and at peace. :)