My father is a passionate smoker. He smokes more than 20 cigarettes a day, for as long as I know him, and finally got in trouble for it. He was diagnosed with bronchiectasis and, of course even that did not make him at least smoke less, if not quit at all. He said that what's done is done; no way would he change his habits after decades. Anyway, what I want to know is there some other bronchiectasis cause?

Bronchiectasis – it is irreversible deformation of middle and small bronchies with destruction of its walls. Unfortunately, it was probably caused by your father's excessive smoking. The only other explanation there is that he got predisposition for this illness from his parents. Whatever the cause, there is still hope. Of course, it includes quitting smoking, which your father has hard time understanding, but you have to convince him somehow. Find the way!