Hello all. I am a bit sad today cause my sister called me to tell me that my dog has died. It’s always been her dog actually, even though I bought him. She always took care of him and I it was very obvious that he liked her more. But still, I feel bad cause I wasn’t there when it happened. My sister took it surprisingly well (she is probably faking it). I asked her what happened and she explained me that the vet said he had heart problems. Can anyone tell me how can one prevent heart problems in dogs?

Hey there.

I am really sorry about this situation: / I feel you because I lost a dog due heart problems three years ago.

Since then I am trying to learn as much as I can about heart problems.

Unfortunately there is no a 100% good way to prevent heart problems, but you can try it.

Here are some tips.

One really important thing that you should pay attention on is to prevent your dog from become obese. Did you know that overweight dogs are predisposed to develop hearth problems? Just like people.

Dogs who are eating properly, who are exercising regularly tend to have better hearth.

This is one of the best ways to prevent it. Take care of what your dog eats.

This is the first step.

Hello. I totally agree with Love is pet. You need to prevent your dog from being obese. That is the first step. I think that I have told for like a thousand times that the food is the main key if you want your dog to be healthy. You need to know what you can feed him with and what you should avoid. Next thing that you need to pay attention is that your dog needs to be active. He needs to play with you, he needs to run and he needs to play with other dogs.  Those are some ways but generally if your dog has predisposition to have hearth disease it is going to be very hard to prevent it.

Hey everyone.
My dog died due the hearth problems. It was really hard to diagnose it and it was much easier to prevent it.
He was perfectly healthy but very soon he didn’t want to eat anymore. He was refusing his regular, dog food and he started to run away and eat some leftovers from the garbage and from the street.
I didn’t have any power to control it.
In three months he gained a lot of pounds and that caused heart problems.
Since he died I don’t want to have a pet. It is hard for me to have one pet again.
I don’t know what could happen to him, why he was refusing to eat his food.

Hello. I’m so glad I’ve found this topic. I’ve been thinking lately about some heart issues that can occur in dogs. I know that some breeds are more prone to have heart problems than the others but I don’t want to talk about genetically caused heart problems, but rather about problems that are not inherited.

Why do they happen if they’re not inherited? ://  My dog has heart problems and I know for sure that there were no heart problems in his ancestors because I bough him from my friend’s kennel.

I will do all of these things you recommended with my new puppy.

Luckily I don’t have such problems with my dog. He is quite obese and his mother had heart problems so he is at high risk of getting them. I’m giving my best to prevent it. I take him to long walks every day. I googled every single dog food available in the local pet shop and read everything about it. I found this one that is low in calories so I hope he will soon lose weight. I try to calm him whenever there is a stressful situation ( such as storms or when he hears fireworks, he gets so scared). I really hope it will work.  

Since we talk about the prevention of heart problems, I found this information on the internet- there are some dog collars that are supposed to release the stress.

For example when your dog has to go to a trip, or when he hears some loud sounds or gunfire, or when he is some other stressful situation, you put him this collar and it will help him to feel more calm. I think that this collar has the smell which reminds the dogs of their mother (while breastfeeding).

Now this is probably effective in many ways since we all know that stress causes a lot of health issues and potentially heart problems too.

I’m so sorry about your dog. I know how you feel. I’ve recently lost a hamster and I can only imagine how can one be attached to his/her dog if you can love a hamster this much.

What I want to say to you is- it’s not your fault. I see that you probably feel a bit guilty since you’re asking if there was any way to prevent it. And there really isn’t.  There is no way you (or your sister) could have prevented it especially if the dog had no early signs of the disease which is often the case.

Hello. Having a dog with heart issue is really hard thing to deal with, but just like rubylock told you – it is not your fault because there was no way to prevent it. You can’t prevent it. I do agree that you need to take care on what your dog eats because that is just one, small step to prevent heart disease in dogs. You could only notice some signs which means that your dog would be treated earlier. But there is no way to prevent it. In this case you should consult your vet all the time. He needs to observe the disease.