Hi, I've never asked or told my doctor or anyone for that matter about some of the heart "issues" I think I might have. For as long as I can remember, I've usually had an irregular heartbeat..either too slow, too fast, or feels like my heart "skips" a beat. Lately I've been feeling lightheaded and dizzy and thought I might have bradycardia, meaning too slow of a heart rate. My blood pressure has always been towards the low end because I am very small, but nothing like "woah, that's really slow." Just 15 minutes ago I was sitting down eating dinner and all of a sudden my heart rate increased dramatically. I got scared because it wasn't stopping or falling back into place like it usually does, and I took a deep breath and my heart went back to normal. It was very scary. Right now it feels like a small weight on my chest. I'm not sure if I should go to my doctor to get this checked out or not. I'm also a little weary to bring this up to my Mom because she thinks I'm a hypochondriac (I probably am) but I'm not making up these heart rhythms. Any advice is appreciated ASAP! Thanks.

Also, I am a female who will be turning 22 in a little over a month.

Anything to do with your heart you need to get checked out 1st and foremost! Women have the highest rate of Arythmia - that fast heart beat - it can be from hormones (usually more prominent around the time of your period or menopause, eating, drinking caffeine, lack of rest - as in a good nights sleep, being too hot, lack of a good breathe - such as crying or laughing hard!

Arythmia is SO common that people actually disregard it at their own perrill! So 1st get your heart checked - hopefully they will do an ECG and perhaps a heart nomitor! Then IF you get the all clear note how much water you are drinking - dryness is another trigger, how much caffeine or any stimulant - including alcohol and nicotine, get as much rest as possible, and not when it is happening! There are usually triggers that you can notice that will set you off!

Hope this helps and just get checked 1st OK? Good luck and health!

shinensunflower wrote:

Hi there, you are definately not alone in what you are feeling and yes you need to follow up with your doctor and tell your mom. I began having heart palpitations when I was 14 yo. I was having anxiety and palpitations. My mother took me to the doctor and they prescribed beta blockers to prevent me from feeling them. I was told that it was normal & that they are quite common. They can become bothersome to the folks who feel them. You mentioned that you've had this problem for as long as you can remember? that's quite a while. I advise that you keep a journal & doc every time you feel funny or have irregular beats, etc & share it with your caregiver. Good luck!