Good day guys.

So my mom called me today and she told me that she is having huge problems with my grandmother (her mom). She is very old, she is 83 years old but the good thing is that she never was sick before. At least, nothing serious. But today she told me that doctor told her that my grand mom can easily be diagnosed with arterial stiffness.

Now the problem is because I am almost sure that I found information that only older people can suffer from it.

Is this true? Do only older people suffer from arterial stiffness?

Hello MakeMeCoffee, I am really sorry about your grand mom especially because she is really old and it would be nice that she lives the rest of her life easily without struggling with some diseases. This disease definitely is more common in older people than in younger people but I would not say that ONLY older people suffer from it.

But objective age and very high blood pressure are major risk factors for it. However the underlying mechanism remain unclear and arterial stiffness may be important.

I really hope that your grand mom is going to be ok despite that she is suffering from this diagnose.

Hi you two,

Since your grandma had no problems of any kind before, this is happening to her only because of her age. 

This mostly happens to elderly people but it can happen to younger people as well, if they had arterial hypertension, for example.

This can become pretty bad if it isn't treated. Arterial stiffness indicates two major terms, arteriosclerosis and atheromatosis. These are often combined to atherosclerosis. 

Arteriosclerosis is a generalized thickening and stiffening of the arterial wall and is related to high blood pressure or hypertension and atheromatosis is an inflammatory arterial change that leads to dysfunction of the endothelial walls and excessive deposition of lipids or fats in the walls.

Hey everyone,

It's not quite true, younger people can suffer from arterial stiffness as well, but it happens on rare occasions, only if these people have certain heart issues.

You see, several degenerative changes that occur with age in the walls of large elastic arteries are thought to contribute to increased stiffening over time. I have heard only once about a person who was young and had arterial stiffness, the doctors couldn't even believe it.

This happens to a big number of old people so don't think that your grandma is a special case or that she is unlucky. She will get her medications for this and everything will be okay.

Hi guys,

Well, if you see how many cases of reported arterial stiffness are there in younger people, you will understand that this number is so small that you can count it out so you can actually say that only older people suffer from arterial stiffness.

No need to worry about your grandma, MakeMeCoffee. I'm pretty sure that she is still a tough lady with her 83 years. Even if she found this out a bit after she got it in the first place, there are medications which are going to help her. It is not a dangerous condition once you start treating it.

Good day there.

I would not agree with your idea that only older people suffer from arterial stiffness. Younger people, actually very young people can suffer from it as well. I know one lady who is 29 years old and she is suffering from it.

Of course, it is rare but it can happen. The risk of this disease grows with the age and that is totally understandable. In your grandmother’s case – it could happen every day to her. And you need to be aware that this is not that dangerous at all. She will be just fine and she will live nice.

Good day everyone. How are you? I hope that you are doing fine.

Well, I can tell that I do know two totally different cases so I can tell that everyone can suffer from Arterial stiffness.

For example, a friend of mine from junior high (she is 37 years old) is suffering from arterial stiffness and as far as I know she is not that old.

On the other side, my neighbor Diana (she is 67 years old) is suffering from this disease as well. As you can see, I think that everyone can have it, but older people are more likely to get it.