Hi everyone,

I have a very close friend I met at the college, we were walking in the park yesterday and she started crying when we started to talk about her mom. Apparently, her mom and dad are having a very hard marriage, things aren't working out so well for them and plus she is in a lot of stress due to her work, because she has an awful boss. At least that's what the girl told me.

Recently, her mum found out that she has some heart problems but she isn't sharing any info with her family. Do you happen to know if this can be due to her stressful job and marriage problems?

Hi Guest,

Well, stress is a normal part of life. But if left unmanaged, stress can lead to emotional, psychological, and even physical problems, including heart disease, high blood pressure, chest pains, or irregular heart beats. So this already answers your question, too much stress can lead to heart problems.

Medical researchers aren't sure exactly how stress increases the risk of heart disease. Stress itself might be a risk factor, or it could be that high levels of stress make other risk factors (such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure) worse. For example, if you are under stress, your blood pressure goes up, you may overeat, you may exercise less, and you may be more likely to smoke.

Good day there.

Stress is so ordinary part of everyone's life. Stress of course is not a good thing and if you can avoid it you should because it can affect your health generally, not just your heart. My friend is having really hard marriage with a lot of problems - she found out that her husband is cheating on her and now he doesn't want to give her a divorce and he doesn't want to leave the home where they are living. So, she started to feel some palpitations, her heart is not beating properly and I am pretty sure that she has some heart problems, but she doesn't want to go to her doctor. 

Hi Guest,

First of all, let me start by saying that stress is never good. It is unfortunately a common thing in all of our lives but it doesn't necessarily have to be. We are in charge of our emotions and not the other way around.

The worst thing is that we aren't aware of the last thing that I wrote here. Things which can help us to understand that we are in charge of our emotions and thoughts are yoga and meditation. I would recommend both of these things to that woman and I can assure you that nobody who tried these things remained the same.

Hi everyone,

Those are some very good advice, Alan. I know how these things can help since I meditate on a daily basis and it helped me a lot but I probably wouldn't write about it here, it wouldn't have crossed my mind.

I just wanted to agree with the fact that stressful job and marriage problems can cause heart problems. Here, marriage problems are also accounted as stress so basically, it is only stress that contributes to the development of heart problems.

I'd go with what Alan just wrote. Yoga and meditation are definitely the best things out there for people, with or without problems.

Hello there. Of course. Every stress in your life can be really bad for your health. Sometimes it can be fatal if you don't stop being stressed before some bad thing happens to you. I have one friend and she is really nervous person. She has amazing marriage, great husband and wonderful kids, but she would like to have better social life and she would like to earn more money at job. Her job is not stressful but she is making it really stressful. She started to have those panic attacks and that affected her heart. So yes, stressful job and other problems, not just marriage problems are the causes for heart problems. 

Hello. I definitely can talk from my own experience. Stressful job can definitely make your life worse! I had this really nasty boss who was mistreated me all the time. But I needed to be quiet because back than my mom lost her job and the only way to survive is me maintaining that job. I just can't describe you how my life was turning into hell every day. One day he was literally screaming at me when I started to lose my breath. I was thinking that I am going to faint. They took me to the doctors and he told me that I am so stressed and that this stress was the main reason why I have some heart issues. Trust me, since that day I am looking on my life from the other corner. I quit my job and I found another one - it was not that good and the paycheck was not that good, but I was much calmer. It can cause heart problems, I know it.