Hello. I have a question for you. I hope someone will know the right answer since I couldn’t really find it on the internet.
The thing is - I read about this disease called IBD - Inflammatory bowel disease. It has to do with the dog’s bowel and his digestive system and the way his immune system reacts to some bacteria found in it. This is actually an autoimmune disease ( I think). Anyway, I’ve heard that it can be pretty dangerous and I was wondering, is there anyway you can prevent this to happen to your dog? Thank you !

Well, the cause of this disease is not yet known to vets. And it is a bit hard to find a prevention method when you can’t even determine the cause.

What we do know is that this disease started to spread at the same period when we started to use processed food in everyday life, for both us and our pets.

My personal opinion is that it is very possible that you can prevent it by giving your dog healthy food and not giving him junk food and food of low quality with additives and who knows what supplements.

Stick with organic, natural products and there’s a greater chance your dog won’t be having problems with IBD.

But listen, that’s just my opinion, there’s no official prevention methods.

Hello. We don’t know the cause of this disease so really maybe there is no option to prevent it. It is really, really hard. Crucial role in this problem is that you need to be extremely careful when it comes to diet program. Some diet programs are not for all dogs and that is why you need to determine it with your vet. Maybe your vet can do some tests to see if your dog is allergic to certain ingredients and this can be the main key in the prevention. But I am not sure. Some meds can prevent it to return if your dog was healed once.

Hey you guys.

Like other members already told you, I think that it is very, very hard to prevent it. Almost impossible. I would suggest you to focus on treatment.

Let’s talk about the cause, ok? Well, the cause of this disease is poorly understood. Some experts say that this is genetic disease, someone that diet can cause this, but abnormalities of your dog’s immune system are playing a huge role in it.

According to what I have told you, there is a big possibility that you can prevent it with quality diet program and if you visit the vet.

In other cases, this is impossible

Hey.

I am for natural treatments so I will suggest you a natural treatments :) Logical  :) You can treat it with – water :)

Giving your dog filtered or bottled water will help killing the bacteria and healing bowel diseases. I would give you an advice – do not use distilled water on a regular basis.

IBD can be cured with supplements that contain glutamine and it can help rebuild the intestinal lining so that this can function much better.

Actually it is recommended to give it to your pet if he is having IBD.

But just to be sure please consult animal nutritionist or holistic vet to tell you what is the proper dosage.

Hi everyone. I know that maybe there are ways to prevent this disease. If it’s something that doesn’t happen to every single dog and it’s not genetically transmitted, that means it has a special cause. If it has a cause, then it can be prevented. And I also know that we don’t know the cause so we don’t know how to prevent it . I wouldn’t bother much with preventing something without knowing the cause. But, one advice would be to cook for your dog. No food from the stores, no sir. Cook. And make it a habit. Your dog will be healthier and happier.

Sorry but I beg to differ. IBD cannot be ''cured''. Once the vets say you're dealing with IBD,
you're stuck with it for the rest of your pet's life.

What you can do is to take good care of your dog’s diet, you can buy only organic, healthy food, you can use some natural remedies too and also use prescribed medication, but you can never get rid of it.

Your pet can have long lasting remissions (phases when the disease is not active), but it's still going to be there. And you will need to take good care of his diet for the rest of his life.

No, no, no DS1911, it can’t be prevented and it can’t be cured. Don’t let them trick you.

When I did some research about this a couple of days ago I found a lot of offers where they are saying that you can prevent and cure it. They offer you some meds that I don’t even know what they are.

You can try to do a lot of things but it won’t help you trust me.

Good diet program combined with medications can help dogs to live nice, long life. Organic foods with natural remedies can help your dog, but still it can’t prevent this disease.

My dog suffers from IBD and diabetes. What worked for us is I make his own food. Lots of bland diet recipes for dogs online. He is also on 1/4 tablet of metronidazole once daily. His only snacks are bland turkey meatballs that I bake myself and freeze. Then take out as needed. He hasn't had any flare ups in 8mths.