Hello there.

So, my name is Marry and I am 38 years old. Yesterday, I had a wisdom tooth removal. It was all OK, a doctor is really professional and my wound looks pretty much good, as far as I can see and feel. I don't have a lot of pain, which is good. But like any other patient, I want to prevent some issues that can happen - call me too careful, but I really like to be prepared. Now, I want to know how to prevent dry socket after wisdom tooth removal? Is that even possible? Tnx a lot!

It is not rare that something like this happens. I think that it is very common, just like an Infection after wisdom tooth removal as well. Sometimes, it just happens. Sometimes it doesn't have to mean that you did something wrong, some patients are just prone to this. Anyway, there are a couple of ways how to prevent it.

• Don't touch the wound,
  • don't smoke cigarettes...or anything else,
  • use salt to chase bacteria away,
  • drink painkillers,
  • don't talk too much because of the air that you can suck in.

Good luck and you will be OK even if you get this, which is not rare.

Hello Marry. I hope that you are doing fine. I've been through this. Not easy, but it is not something that is complicated at all. If you follow the proper care, you should not be scared of it at all. There is small advice that people forget to mention. For example, my recommendation is that you should not eat anything similar to popcorn, peanuts, chestnuts, because it can leave a damage even on the healthy tooth, so you can imagine what it can do to the wound. You should eat soft foods as much as you can - so eat soups, puddings, etc. Don't drink cola, Fanta, any carbonated drinks. This all can help. Good luck! 

Good oral hygiene is a half of it! Half of the prevention. Also, it is very important not to touch the wound for a while.  Here are some other tips as well:

• drink a lot of water, it can only help you, it can't harm you,
  • don't drink drinks that do contain a lot of sugar in it,
  • avoid a lot of beverage that contains caffeine and of course, avoid alcohol, because you know what can happen when the alcohol and wound are in the contact - a lot of blood!
  • stay away from the bubble gums and of course, don't' smoke! 

Good luck! 

Celebrity

Good day there.

It is very important to ask your dentist for a certain prescription and also you should seek what are all those helpful all over-the-counter medications which can help you. You should know that medications are not the same and generally you should not experiment with certain medications just because some of your friends told you that those medications are good. Also, you should disclose all medications with your doctor prior to your tooth extraction. Of course, I don't need to mention how practicing an oral hygiene is important and that you should stop smoking and don't drink alcohol. And yes, leave all the home jobs - they can wait :)

Guys, I don't know what to do as well about this. I had this wisdom tooth removal seven days ago and I did something that I shouldn't do - I was touching with my tongue this wounded area all the time. Of course, there was a little bit of blood, some liquid and now, I can feel this ugly smell coming out of my wound. Is this because I got it infected? Or I am about to get this dry socket? What are the symptoms of the dry socket at the first place? I really would like to know because that is the only way to realize what my next steps about this are.

Hi there.

Before you do this procedure, you should aks your doctor a little bit about this, how this all is going. He can give you some further details about this whole procedure and the prevention care.

In case of the prevention you can also use a aspirin and ibuprofen. Also, you should know that the smoking is a big risk factor of getting a dry socket at the first place.

Also, if you are using a birth control pills, you should ask your doctor about it and tell him which pills you are using, since t he hormone can affect the ability of the blood to clot.

Also, void drinking through a straw  - I know that a lot of people will tell you that this can ease your pain, but it is not like this. It can only make it worse, forming clot. Avoid it!